Assign cdrom/PE drive letter

Guest tjabobom

Guest tjabobom

I have a problem when I use PE to deploying XP, I use diskpart and format

to fix the harddisk I want to make two partitions c: (sys) and d: (vol1). But when PE boot up it some time take d: I think it take the first free letter.. Well it meen that when the diskpart script run it cant format and assign d: to the hard drive..

So I would like the PE/cdrom to use a static drive letter (ex: X:).. I cant find an example with google...

So now I try you guys......

/Per

I do not believe there is a way to set which letter PE will use, but you could write a script and include it in your run once that will run diskpart and configure the D drive after the OS has been installed. You may need to move the CD to E but I am have not done that before.

Mike

@tjabobom

The drive letters set by WinPE are temporary, so you can assign your partition the E: drive letter and once you reboot to your normal Windows it'll reassign this partition the D: drive letter.

A better solution is to build your WinPE using WinXP slipstreamed with SP2 (you'll need the latest OPK or build it using bart's pe builder), and WinPE CD will take the X: drive letter by default (this is based on users requests and also to match the same case when you boot WinPE from a RIS server).

piro

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Per..

PE does take the first avaiable drive letter for assignment! However, when it comes down to your issue with diskpart of the D: drive, you just add /noerr switch ( i think ) to your diskpart script. This will enable the diskpart script to continue running through the script even if there is no d: drive available on the computer.

Think that will sort you out if I understood your question right....

Take care...