Removing the "My eBooks" folder

leedolman

Hey hey

Soon after I have installed XP a new folder always seems to appear in "My Documents" called "My eBooks".

Normally I just delete it and it's gone forever! But, on this fresh install, for some reason it's reappearing when I delete it.

What I want to know is; How do I stop it coming back, why is it coming back this time and where does it come from in the first place?

Thanks in advance

Lee :)

My eBooks is not created by Windows XP, it is created by Acrobat Reader (6 and later versions ?). And I believe that it is restored everytime you launch Acrobat Reader... so everytime you read a PDF file.

OK, just found this. May be of some use to anybody else having similar problems and didn't know the cause

After installing Adobe Acrobat Reader v6.x, you may notice the My eBooks folder appearing within the My Documents folder. This is not a standard Shell folder of Windows. Even if you delete it, this folder is recreated upon loading Adobe Acrobat Reader.

This is powered by a Adobe plugin 'ebook.api'. Upon starting Adobe Acrobat Reader, it loads all the plugins under the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\plug_ins

NOTE: Perform the following only if you don't plan to use the eBook plugin of Adobe Acrobat reader. You can undo the operation though.

If you don't want to see the My eBooks folder, follow this solution:

Rename the file ebook.api from the plug_ins folder and place it into the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\optional

Delete the My eBooks folder now.

(Thanks to MS-MVP Wesley Vogel for this solution, in the Microsoft Newsgroup)

At a later stage, if you again want to use the eBook plugin, revert it back to the plug_ins folder.

Thankyou so much! I've been looking for a solution to this. Can I ask, where you found that information? I must have missed it somewhere in my travels (I could swear I searched everywhere).

If you are never going to use the ebook reader portion of Adobe Reader,

you can disable it in the msi. It is a selectable feature. Either modify the MSI, or create a transform. I would think that would prevent it alltogether, and be alot cleaner than renaming and deleting files.

However, if you changed your mind and wanted to put the functionality back in, you would have to reinstall Adobe Reader.