my internet connection dies

rectifyer

i am having a weird problem. it seems about every 30-60 minutes, my internet connection will die then restart itself. it is almost like a spike that screws all connections, then it restarts the network. i am connected using a ethernet cable modem. this problem seemed to have started after a few weeks of using xp. the first couple weeks of using xp went fine. i am not sure if this is even an xp issue or maybe a cable modem issue. i don't notice the lights going out when this 'spike' occurs. also, another person i know has been experiencing this lately, and he is running xp now too.

has anyone had this happen? or know any fixes?

also, i am using zonealarm as my current firewall.

thanks.

I've heard that ZoneAlarm kills the internet connection for no reason from time to time. Leave it turned off for an hour or two and see if your internet connection gets spiked.

I wish ZoneLabs would hurry up getting a fix for it, so for now, XP is on hold for me.

Yeah, Norton's Firewall is ok, a pain to set up the permissions, it asks more questions than ZoneAlarm does!

Tiny and Sygate are also other decent alternatives. Sygate has XP support in one of their pre-releases.

Avoid BlackIce like the plague!

Yeah, I agree on Sygate as it is free and it is well supported in XP...I have only had probs. when I switch over to my wife's name and Sygate will not run on both but talked to Chris about this and he is not having the same probs. so must be me. As for the spike, if changing Firewall does not work, call your ISP and make sure there have not been probs in your area. I have had probs. in the past with a diff. cable provider and they didn't bother to let me know that everybody on my node was having outages and that it would be a month till getting it fixed.

Rick

• 5 years later...