compability mode via command line

hi, i was wondering if it wa possible to start a .exe file in compability mode XP through a batch file.

like mabey

setup.exe /compab:2000

or something like that, anybody know if its possible ??

thx in advance bombtrack

Edited by bombtrack

It is possible, but it's extremely hard to do, at least I believe so... the compability mode works in the registry, in

HKEY_USERS\<UserCode>\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers\, where you'd add an entry, called for example "C:\Windows\Program.exe", a REG_SZ type (string), and set its value to "WIN2000". The hard part is figuring out what your UserCode is. I don't know a way, but maybe somebody else knows.

I found a way to get the usercode. Below is my batchfile to get it. It only works if you are the only user on the pc because then there will be only one S-1-5-21 entry in the registry key below. To work on a multi-user pc more coding has to be done but that is a bit more difficult.

REG EXPORT "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" ProfileList.reg
TYPE ProfileList.reg > ProfileList.txt
DEL ProfileList.reg
FINDSTR /R .*S-1-5-21.* ProfileList.txt > MyUsercode.txt
DEL ProfileList.txt
FOR /F "USEBACKQ TOKENS=1,2 DELIMS==" %%I IN (MyUsercode.txt) DO (
SET Usercode=%%I
)
DEL MyUsercode.txt

SET Usercode=%Usercode:~77,-1%

Just add 1 or more REG ADD lines, using the Usercode variable, to the batchfile and you'r done.