Audigy 2 NX

msd5ef

It doesn't work correctly. I've been trying to get sound card issues resolved since I first installed 2003 and it's beginning to look like no Soundblaster product will work correctly. Their tech support offers many links and ideas to try but cannot recommend drivers or anything of real value. The closest thing I got to work is the Audigy 2 Gamer but for some reason nobody can explain, the front left speaker also thinks it's the front right on my 6.1 system. It's liveable for now. I found a card made in Australia that's designed for 2003 and I'm having a buddy from another forum check it out for me.

BTW, I tried cards from Mad Dog, ESS, anything I could borrow or buy then return including the NX. No luck.

Keep an eye out because when I solve this I will post the solution for all.

OK I promised an update so here it is. After pestering a friend to death I managed to try every brand and model sound card in his store. To keep it short, I found the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer to be the only card to work if installed exactly as I describe below:

Remove any and all other sound card drivers. If you have Reg mechanic use it or go through the registry and clean it manually. Doing this stops the blue screens.

After a boot and de frag, install the Audigy card and power back up.

Go to Creative's site and download the drivers and web update for this exact model and install them, rebooting between installs.

You should now have sound defaulted to desktop speakers.

Get the cd that came with the ZS Gamer and manually install the TH console app.

Don't install anything else. You won't see an Audio HQ icon on the control panel and will have to run the speaker calibrator from the start menu.

Calibrate the usual way, reboot and you'll have surround sound. It works with 6.1, which I have and my son did it with 5.1 so it seems to be a good install.

Now the funny part. For the next 5 or 6 reboots it may try to revert back to the default desktop speakers configuration so you'll have to check. Change it back. After about 6 reboots it will stop doing that and you can consider your sound worries to be over.

Now, for the record, I have 2003 Server Standard, configured as a workstation installed on an Asus P4C800E-Deluxe with dual SATA raid 0 using WD Raptors. I have 2 gb Kingston xls DDRAM and use the onboard nic. I'm running a 404 fsb for a slight overclock. Since I don't trust water cooling I have 10 80x25 thermally controlled case fans plus a pci card fan set to keep temps down. My mobo never goes above 99 degrees F and my 9800XT Radeon stays around 103 f.

• 3 weeks later...