Fresh install with Sata

kimandsally

Hi can anyone help, some time ago I fitted a new Sata drive and all was OK until I try to do a new install, now when it is all up and running when it comes to shutting down it displays it is now safe to turn off your computer, when before it used to fully shut down.

I have noticed that the computer shows as a standard pc when before it used to display uniprocessor ACPI, this is in device manager.

I have trawled the internet and found on The Elder Geek's site that when it is time to press F6 for the Sata drivers press F5 instead then choose the uniprocessor ACPI computer option.

Unfortunately when this is done I cannot then find a way to install the Sata drivers.

I have tried the unattended CD and unfortunately I cannot work out how to do this, I have also tried the XPCREATE and cannot make that produce a working copy either, it is obviously something I am doing wrong I must say I really don't understand how to do it or the jargon and terminology that goes with it.

I just want to do a clean install and make it shut down at the end of my session, is there a way to enable this ACPI uniprocessor part as on the Elder Geek they say it about impossible.

Surely just that word impossible will make someone out there find a way, that's if you don't know already.

I shall persevere and hope to understand more about this unattended stuff later, I am certainly picking up things everyday off this site.

Thanks to all for your imput. :)

• 1 month later...

Try to run this batch on your xp system:

REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E966-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000" /f
REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E966-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001" /f
REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E966-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000" /f
REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E966-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001" /f
REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\ACPI_HAL" /f
REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\PCI_HAL" /f
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection ACPIAPIC_UP_HAL 131 %windir%\inf\hal.inf