Windows 2003 SBS standard?

Hey there, im thinking of getting a copy of w2k3 standard w/ 5 cal's

How does this work? i have 3 copy's of w2k already installed on various pc's here

If i get w2k3 server do i have to buy client versions? or can i just connect the 2k? or do i have to reinstall all pc's with an client version that comes with the sbs package?

How does server access get obtained by an pc which is not installed a client version? if any...

i get 5 cal's but have 6 clients do i need to buy 10 cal's than since i never saw where to get them per 1...

I have access to wholesale distributors so thats no problem... but i just need info now!

Thanks, many thanks! :)

EDIT:

I just saw a w2k3 sbs w/o call's does this mean i can connect as much clients as i like? on what ever os (win2k or xp) :rolleyes:

and i came up with another question: how does a laptop which is installed with a 'client' windows connect to another network as the one at my company? just like normal?

More thanks

SBS 2003 is a stand alone server suite. All other Win Servers can only join the SBS domain as "Member" servers. Exchange 2003 and SQL 2000 can only run and operate on the SBS 2003 install machine.

MS was giving away 5 free SBS cals for a botched SBS install disk. That option may still be available...

<<How does this work? i have 3 copy's of w2k already installed on various pc's here.>>

If any of them are Domain controllers (PDCs) they must be demoted to member servers. If any are configured as BDCs they must also be demoted to member servers...

Any existing Win2K servers can join the new SBS domain as member servers. Any Win 2K3 servers can join the SBS domain as member servers. There are no BDCs in SBS 2003. Or either Win2K or Win2K3 can connect as standalone Workgroups.

There is no client software to install... except that any machine that connects to the new SBS domain can download Outlook 2003 from the SBS 2003 Server or any other software that resides in the SBS client install directory.

Any connection restrictions are only when there are concurrent connections to the SBS 2003 server.

<<how does a laptop which is installed with a 'client' windows connect to another network as the one at my company? just like normal?>>

Just use the Alternate Connection found in TCP/IP Properties under Network Connections in XP. Set the Alternate Connection to be static or set it for DHCP.

So basically i install the server on a pc.

And connect the pc's i already have to it with no additional installations on the clients....

Also im wondering, how do i connect a pc which has no license? (for example my friend's laptop) am i supposed to give him a license (cal) too then?