Playing a song during installation

Hi guys,

do you know if there's the possibility of playing a song (using a command line wav player) during the applications installation (I'm using RunOnceEx) with winxp ? Are the sound drivers already loaded in that phase of installation ?

Thanks !

I load my audio (and video) drivers in the winint.sif file. With the slipstreaming of SP1A they included some sort of weird melody when it comes time to "set up" your internet connection, register XP if you choose and add your user account names.

I install my applications from an applications.cmd file and this runs after the above. I am not sure if they would be loaded already with the RunOnceEx method or not.

Another question I am unsure of is how you could play a song via the command line. Does mplayer2.exe support command line? I typed mplayer2.exe /h and it opened Windows Media Player 6 and didn't show anything about any options...

I realize this doesn't help you that much but I only know what I know...

You can launch mplayer2 from the command line. There are no command line switches, however.

start /min mplayer2 filename

That would launch mplayer2 minimized. You could use pskill to end mplayer2 or just let windows kill it at reboot. You could even have it load an m3u playlist if you wanted more than one song.

By the time RunOnceEx is going, sound drivers should already be in place as well as the codec necessary for mp3 playback.

If you using a prepare.cmd file in RunOnceEx, I'd recommend placing the above command in that.

Cheers,

it got me curious if it would be possible playing an audio file as early as during the t-39 stage... because i noticed that its possible to run separate applications (to some extent) as early as the t-39 stage which was discussed on this link.

If you have a program with the codecs builtin, then I don't see why you couldn't. If it will need a codec, such as ogg, I don't see someone being able to play the file at the detached program stage.

A wave file should play, but then you would be limited on quality. If you aren't sure what you can do, try the shift-f10 trick to see what you have around the detached program stage.