Bluescreen & Problems during setup

leedolman

I have just purchased a 200GB SATA Western Digital Caviar HD and wanted to do a fresh install of XP onto it. I have an onboard VIA RAID controller (on ASUS K8v SE Deluxe m/board) I created a floppy disc containing drivers with the VIA Make Disc utility.

then i turned off computer, installed new hard disc and enabled sata control in my bios. i then put my xp cd in & booted up, pressed f6 to install 3rd party driver and managed to install ok. Windows detected hard drive succesfully and i proceeded to create partitions. i then chose the partition and windows copied files from the cd to hd as usual.

I then got a message saying windows couldn't copy files from the cd because they were missing and asked if i wanted to skip them or abort. The 3 files in question were the files located on the floppy disc (viasraid.cat, viasraid & viasraid.inf) so i skipped as they were obviously not going to be on the cd.

setup finished copying files over and restarted. the xp pro screen came up (the one that comes up when windows is loading) and then i got a bluescreen with the error 0x0000007B (0xF7C7A640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). I rebooted 3 more times with same error.

I'm guessing this is because setup didn't copy over the 3 files it said were missing, which were infact on the floppy. Is there anyway to copy the files manually onto the hd, and whereabouts would i put them?

:)

Thanks in advance

The sata raid drivers should be under %system%\system32\drivers directory. Have you tried the recovery console? It will prompt you for the drivers, then detect the install, then using the prompt, copy them over manually or try a repair.

If you have a fresh install, it would only take 40 minutes to do a reinstall without skipping that step. That would probably be the easiest way.

Hope that helps.

I've resolved the problem myself :)

I found the RAID Drivers topic, started by RyanVM (Many Thanks!), in the Unattended XP / Drivers section and integrated these into my XP setup.

That resolved the problem :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway :D

• 3 weeks later...

I also have run into the same problam, i have 2 computers, one of them will start with the hard driver in it but the other one will not. i need help i have read Ryan article but it didnt help, couldnt make a xp cd get recognized.