HP Recovery CDs (WinXP) not bootable?

pbb

Hi all,

Hope my question is on the correct place, if not you can give me a beating :)

I've got an HP Pavilion 414.no PC here, with preinstalled Windows XP Home. There is a Recovery CD Creation program included, which creates a set of Recovery CDs. After creating the set of 4 CDs, I discovered however that none of the CDs is bootable! When they are not bootable, how should I recover the computer from a serious (HDD) crash?!?!?

The first CD doesn't even contain any executables or documents in the root folder, just a lot of hidden files and the folders "I386" and "PRELOAD".

Even worse, the root of the 1st CD contains a hidden "autorun.inf" which loads "Info.exe folder.htt 480 480", but neither "info.exe" nor "folder.htt" are located in that folder, which results in an error about not being able to find "info.exe" when trying to open the CD!

Did the Recovery CD Creation process go totally wrong? The application verified each CD after creation, and said everything went allright. The application also only allows for one set of CDs to be created, so I cannot rerun the process...

Hope anybody can give me some more insight...

Best regards, Peter

Hi all,

Hope my question is on the correct place, if not you can give me a beating  :rolleyes:

I've got an HP Pavilion 414.no PC here, with preinstalled Windows XP Home. There is a Recovery CD Creation program included, which creates a set of Recovery CDs. After creating the set of 4 CDs, I discovered however that none of the CDs is bootable! When they are not bootable, how should I recover the computer from a serious (HDD) crash?!?!?

The first CD doesn't even contain any executables or documents in the root folder, just a lot of hidden files and the folders "I386" and "PRELOAD".

Even worse, the root of the 1st CD contains a hidden "autorun.inf" which loads "Info.exe folder.htt 480 480", but neither "info.exe" nor "folder.htt" are located in that folder, which results in an error about not being able to find "info.exe" when trying to open the CD!

Did the Recovery CD Creation process go totally wrong? The application verified each CD after creation, and said everything went allright. The application also only allows for one set of CDs to be created, so I cannot rerun the process...

Best regards, Peter

Are you SURE there not bootable? Have you maked sure you're BIOS settings are set to boot from cd?

Chris. :)

Hi all,

Hope my question is on the correct place, if not you can give me a beating  :D

Best regards, Peter

Are you SURE there not bootable? Have you maked sure you're BIOS settings are set to boot from cd?

Chris. :rolleyes:

Aaaargh now I am feeling stupid.... Such an advanced computer expert, and I put the CD in the wrong drive !!!! :D Thanks anyway :)

Hi all,

Hope my question is on the correct place, if not you can give me a beating  :D

Best regards, Peter

Chris. :rolleyes:

Aaaargh now I am feeling stupid.... Such an advanced computer expert, and I put the CD in the wrong drive !!!! :D Thanks anyway :)

lol I love making mistakes like that.