Crazy Compaq Quick Restore Disks

I just did a "Quick Restore" on a Compaq 5000 series WinXP machine... I think it's really funny that they call it a "Quick Restore" *laugh*

It's a 3CD Set, that used Drive Image to extract a 2CD image (never uses the 3rd disk during any section) onto the hard drive, which took about 30-40 minutes... then it tells you to reboot and I was thinking "ahh, its finished finally" only to discover that after the first 30-40 minute process, all it has done is extract the drive image of an unattended windows installation to the hard drive... now I have to wait another 30-40 minutes for that to finish!

What part of "Quick" don't they understand? The disk set is specific to this model of computer, so why not just have a straight unattended install that uses 1 or 2 disks? How gay I thought!

Thanks. That's from a Stepen R. Donaldson fantasy series. 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever". I'm not really a big fan of fantasy, but this series is excellent.

About my signature, hee hee, I was originally going to use CrzyJim but decided that was a bit gay. So I shuffled a couple of letters around. I guess it's kinda weird in that sense. It's not as cool as Jersey Criminal I suppose. :)

Thanks. That's from a Stepen R. Donaldson fantasy series. 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever". I'm not really a big fan of fantasy, but this series is excellent.

In reply to The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant... definitely a great series. Unfortunately I found the second Chronicles to be not nearly as good as the first.

In reply to this thread as a whole... we're talking about Compaq here. I would expect nothing less from them than a method to make a restore anything but easy or quick.

The last I knew they still charged you money to tell you the key to unlock a recovery disc to fix a problem yourself and God forbid they tell you what kind of generic hardware they put into their systems (ie a modem) so that you can download the correct drivers yourself.