Hangs when logging on to domain

dlhartmann

I work on a domain of 15 users with one Win 2k Advanced server. I use active directory with my domain, and I am experiencing trouble with three workstations that have windows XP installed. They all worked fine for a short time, but one by one each XP workstation now hangs at the network setting and loading computer settingswhen it starts up. Then when the user procedes to login, the login hangs at applying computer settings and applying personal settings. This happens every time. I have looked at all of the logs in the event viewer and they are of no help. I haven't changed software to have caused this issue. Specifically the hang can last from 5 minutes up to 20. No kidding! Any ideas?

This isnt a bug...Its has to do with the connection being looked for by XP while booting up..."I think"...But I moved your topic here, you will get a bigger responce from people here fisrt then if its discovered as a bug (meaning know by others and not able to be fixed) then Ill move it back...

Anyone with suggestions...BAH you network man what u think?

-Xperties

I honestly would suggest PMing One of our Moderaters. His name is BAH. Theres alot of people who are good at this but I know hes the best in this field that I know. Just inform him of the thread in a PM and tell him I said to PM him. Make sure all replys are posted here for future assitance for others. Hope things work out. Thanks

-Xperties

:) Well I did it! I did contact Microsoft, and they were stumped. I think I got a novice tech. The reason XP and 2000 computers which are a part of a 2000 server domain with Active Directory hang during startup and logon is related to issues in the DNS settings. In my case the server was not properly setup with DNS. In fact it wasn't even installed. (When and who removed it is yet to be determined) This service and domain specific settings are required for Active Directory to run properly.

Now that DNS is installed, setup on the server and the workstations have a new primary DNS name, all is working smoothly. If anyone has this issue, just follow the directions at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q260371

(Q260371)

You may need to reference other articles, but this will definately get you started.

Thank you for your help Xperties. I know if I hadn't stumbled accross this article, I would still be lost. Next time I will contact BAH first. Maybe this would not have taken so long to fix. :rolleyes: