simple network

ok first off, i realize this is going to make me look like an id***.... :)

basically, i have 2 computers running windows server 2003 standard (mine and my dad's)

but im having a bit of a hard time networking them together, i cant acces one computer from another. i had this all working with 2000, so i know its just some extra settings in 2003 that i have no clue how to configure.

so basically i need to know how to set the computers up to be able to access one from another, share folders and files, and share a printer.

we are both on the same workgroup, we can both see each other in the network places, and can even see shared folders.... just cant get into them, tried setting up the permissions on the folders but it doesnt do anything

any help here is greatly appreciated, seeing as i dont have much experience with server OS's

*EDIT*

i found a support file on the microsoft website... but theres still a problem, where it says:

To set permissions for a user or group that is not listed in the Group or user names box, click Add.

In the Select Users or Groups dialog box that appears, type the names of the users or groups that you want to set permissions for (for example, Accounting, Sales, and Amy Alberts).

Click OK.

thats great and all.... but for some reason i can only add users from MY computer, i cant look on the network or my dads computer to add users, so this must be my problem, any clue how to solve it?

One of your computers needs to be setup as a domain controller. Right now you are operating in workgroup mode. To start the wizard to setup your domain, goto Start > Run > and type in "dcpromo" without the quotes. Once the domain is setup, then you have to add the other pc to the domain.