816093 on Windows 2003 Server

Hi !

I just ran accross Windows Update after testing my Windows 2003 Server (Enterprise Edition) unattended dvd and see that it reports the 816093 fix missing.

It is a fix for the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine, which I thought wasn't included on Windows 2003.

The page for the fix (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-011.mspx), says :

If you're using any of the following versions of Windows, you definitely have the Microsoft VM installed:

• Microsoft Windows 95

• Microsoft Windows 98 and 98SE

• Microsoft Windows Millennium

• Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, beginning with Service Pack 1

• Microsoft Windows 2000 versions prior to Service Pack 4

• Microsoft Windows XP

So, it does not include Windows 2003.

So how come that I should install the hotfix for it, if it is not supposed to be there ?

I did what the page says too (typing JView from the command-line) and jview is indeed there...

I have the Sun Java Runtime Environment 2 installed, but certainly not MS one and no java applets were able to run before the Sun's JRE setup...

Thank you very much for your answers.

jview.exe is made by microsoft, not sun. It's not on the server 2003 cd. The only way it could have gotten on your system is if you installed a patch or something that put it there.

-gosh

Gosh,

I knew it was made by Microsoft and not Sun since I learnt jview's existence from the MS webpage.

Anyway, you were right : something was really installing some files for the MS VM : It was the Visual Studio 6 Service Pack 5... (VS6 only didn't seem to install it).

Still it wasn't a complete install of the VM since the java applets couldn't be run without Sun's JRE.

Now that VS6 SP6 is released, I replaced SP5 with it and Windows Update does not report this fix as needed anymore.

Thank you very much.