relocating my docs in winnt.sif

What is the best way in winnt.sif to relocate the My Docs folder.. ie if my profile name is Jason, there would normally be a dir called "Jason's Documents" on my C Drive, but on my current install I have this relocated on my D Drive.

How do I alter my winnt.sif file to move the "jason's Documents" folder to my D Drive?

ta

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

This registry key contains all of the values for user shell folders including 'My documents'. The value name used for the 'my documents' folder ( or user's documents) is 'personal'.

I do not believe you can change my documents from winnt.sif.

Cheers.

I change my docs in cmdlines.txt

this works every time for me...

cmdlines.txt

"REGEDIT /S d:\XP_Installed_Programs\XPUserSettingsHKCU.reg"

XPUserSettingsHKCU.reg

...;Data locations  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]"Personal"   ="D:\\Data""My Video"   ="D:\\Data\\My Video""My Music"   ="D:\\Data\\My Music""My Pictures"="D:\\Data\\My Pictures"...

Roger

Thanks... what if I just want to move my "Jason's Documents" folder, not the whole "documents and settings folder"?

Bear in mind that you dont always have to change the registry - you can often achieve the same thing (changing the locations of things) using file system capabilities if you are using NTFS on your boot partition.

For example say you have a drive D: where you want your profile to be stored directly under a folder "MYPROFILE", and your username is MYUSERNAME.

Then you could:

1) reboot Windows and log on as another user (so your profile is not being touched)

2) move your profile directory from its default location (C:\D&S\MYUSERNAME) to D:\MYPROFILE

3) Set C:\D&S\MYPROFILENAME as an NTFS junction/mount point/<whatever you want to call it> pointing to D:\MYPROFILE. If you're not familar with what this means and how to do it, a quick Google will tell you everything you need to know.

4) logon as MYUSERNAME (no need to reboot) - your profile is now being used from its alternate location.

Of course you can do this for any folder in isolation (such as a subfolder of your profiles tree, as you originally asked).

What's nice about this method is that your profile data still looks to Windows like it is at its normal location, so it works with no registry changes and still gets backed up when you back up your system drive.