XP running on a 486 cpu

Dietmar

Sigh. Another issue.

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" no matter what known good drive I install. Windows 2000 did not have this problem, it installs and runs fine.

This is a Shuttle HOT 433 rev 1-3.

@Dietmar isn't this the same board you're using? Did you have to do anything special to get Windows setup to see your hard drives? I'm using the Award 2001 BIOS.

PXL_20240622_041630983_MP.thumb.jpg.3693bbac97397fa2a80a9d217dc59cdd.jpg

Hi,

I flash this AWARD Bios from 2001, it has also CD-Rom boot for the Shuttle Hot 433.

In Bios you have to set boot order CDROM, C.

The harddisk has to be an IDE disk (without any adapter), smaller than 137 Gbyte,

jumpered as MASTER

Dietmar

https://ufile.io/d67gsrhn

Edited by Dietmar

11 hours ago, Dietmar said:

Hi,

I flash this AWARD Bios from 2001, it has also CD-Rom boot for the Shuttle Hot 433.

In Bios you have to set boot order CDROM, C.

The harddisk has to be an IDE disk (without any adapter), smaller than 137 Gbyte,

jumpered as MASTER

Dietmar

https://ufile.io/d67gsrhn

Thanks, I'm already using the 2001 Award BIOS and I have tried a 10 GB and 15 GB mechanical IDE drive, both jumpered as master on primary IDE channel.

Do you have your CD-ROM on the same channel as the hard disk? I have been using hard disk on primary master and CD-ROM on secondary master.

My boot order is CDROM, C.

1 hour ago, Dietmar said:

@Mike C

Is your harddisk recogniced in Bios?

If yes, this configuration should work

Dietmar

It is recognized in the BIOS and it works with Windows 2000, but not XP.

EDIT: I have been trying the English ISO. I will try the German version. Früher konnte ich ein bisschen Deutsch. Das meiste habe ich vergessen.

EDIT 2: The German ISO gives the same error unfortunately. I'm not sure what's wrong. You didn't need to load special drivers for the UMC8886 IDE controller?

Edited by Mike C

@Mike C

I use the normal IDE driver from XP.

The only thing, that I can imagine is, that you have to format your harddisk new.

MBR bootsector.

I use RMPrepUSB for this, choosing ntldr, NTFS and force LBA

Dietmar

PS: Are you sure, that your harddisk is still ok? From my about 20 IDE harddisks, only 2(!) are ok after 26 years.

Edited by Dietmar

1 hour ago, Dietmar said:

@Mike C

I use the normal IDE driver from XP.

The only thing, that I can imagine is, that you have to format your harddisk new.

MBR bootsector.

I use RMPrepUSB for this, choosing ntldr, NTFS and force LBA

Dietmar

PS: Are you sure, that your harddisk is still ok? From my about 20 IDE harddisks, only 2(!) are ok after 26 years.

I will try this, but yes I'm sure the disks are working. They all work perfectly with Windows 2000.

2000 installs and runs normally on the same motherboard, CPU and disks. It's a very strange issue, 2000 works but not XP! So the disks and IDE controller seem to work.

I may also try to clear the CMOS and start over.

Edited by Mike C

I can't explain this at all, but I just put the hard disk in as SECONDARY master with CD-ROM as secondary slave and now it works!

I would say something is wrong with my primary IDE controller, but it works with Windows 2000 so I don't know what's going on.

I don't mind leaving it as secondary master, but what a strange problem this is!

Anyway, it no longer gives me the error and I created a partition and formatted as NTFS. Now the text-based installer is copying files to the hard disk. I will edit this post later to say whether it worked completely and lets me boot into XP.

PXL_20240622_200822242_MP.thumb.jpg.ef9e3bf28817ccf6c9460fc9be8f2108.jpg

Edited by Mike C

On 6/20/2024 at 11:40 AM, Mike C said:

First, this is fantastic and I've been waiting to see XP patched for the 486 for a very long time!

However, I have a problem installing. I have a Shuttle HOT-433 v1-3 motherboard with the 2001 Award BIOS. It has 128 MB of RAM, 512 KB cache and a 486 DX4/100.

I can boot the patched ISO on the machine, and setup proceeds through the first section where it loads a lot of files/drivers from the CD.

As soon as it finishes this and tries to start the Windows kernel, it crashes with a blue screen. STOP 0x0000007F error.

If I use the same patched ISO to install it in 86Box, it works correctly.

Also, installing Windows 2000 DOES work on this motherboard.

I wonder if you can run CHKCPU and post output here with that 486DX4?

http://www.steunebrink.info/chkcpu.htm

86Box-emulated DX4 shows like this:

VaLgwfS.png

Edited by roytam1

The text installer finished, but it won't boot into the second graphical part of setup. I get a blue screen with stop code 0x0000007E and first parameter 0xC000001D

Is this because I haven't copied ntoskrnl.exe to the hard disk from the CD? I didn't have to do this when I tested in 86Box.

Do I need to run the expand command on ntoskrnl.ex_ from the CD, or is there an already uncompressed patched version that I need to copy?

EDIT: The ntoskrnl.exe on the hard disk already has a date stamp of April 29, 2024 so it would seem to already be the patched version. So I'm not sure what causes the blue screen.

PXL_20240623_203344629.thumb.jpg.39677dfa06a35a1a46ccd88d59ecdf9a.jpg

Edited by Mike C

2 hours ago, Mike C said:

The text installer finished, but it won't boot into the second graphical part of setup. I get a blue screen with stop code 0x0000007E and first parameter 0xC000001D

Is this because I haven't copied ntoskrnl.exe to the hard disk from the CD? I didn't have to do this when I tested in 86Box.

Do I need to run the expand command on ntoskrnl.ex_ from the CD, or is there an already uncompressed patched version that I need to copy?

EDIT: The ntoskrnl.exe on the hard disk already has a date stamp of April 29, 2024 so it would seem to already be the patched version. So I'm not sure what causes the blue screen.

PXL_20240623_203344629.thumb.jpg.39677dfa06a35a1a46ccd88d59ecdf9a.jpg

do you have any 3rd party driver loaded?

28 minutes ago, Mike C said:

No 3rd party drivers, and I don't have any odd cards plugged installed either. Just an ATI Rage Pro and a 3C509 ISA network card.

you may try deleting ati*.sys in windows\system32\drivers and boot it?

Instead of that, I removed the ATI card and installed an Nvidia TNT2. I also removed the 3C509 NIC. It still gives me the same blue screen.

I even installed a brand new IDE SSD, reinstalled XP and it still crashes.