how use micro-Sd media card?

Joaquim

my driver id is:

PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8033&SUBSYS_00661025&REV_00

Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller

i found some drivers and are installed.. but i need a more updated driver for read the micro-SD or i need a size(2GB's) patch for media card?

You should check the .inf file used to install your driver. You can open it with Notepad. Near the top of the file there will be an entry, with the word "Signature".

If it is shown as:

Signature =  "$Windows NT$"

this driver most likely will not work.

This is what you are looking for:

Signature = "$Chicago$"

Also, you can go to "Control Panel" > "System" > "Device Manager" (tab) > then right click on your installed driver and select "Properties".

When the device properties window opens, click on the "Driver" tab. If the "Driver File Details" button is grey out (you can't click on it), then your driver is most likely not compatible with your version of Windows. It will also have a message like:

No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device. To update the driver files for this device, click Update Driver.

This message is only okay for passive\non-hardware devices. An example is the "PCMCIA Card Service" device. If you are installing a driver, for hardware, then you should most likely be able to click on the "Driver File Details" button and see list of driver files.

I don't think Acer ever released/developed Win9x "SDcard Adapter" drivers, for the "Aspire 1690".

You don't need a patch or anything like that.

If you do your research, you might be able to get those "Windows NT" driver working, on Win9x. But that is beyond the kind of help most can provide you, though a forum.  You'll need to modify the .inf file, to conform with the "Chigaco" .inf specifications. Likely you'll need at least Rloew's WDMEX tool and more over WDMStub. You'll want to look at checking any DLL files with Dependency Walker and get a hold of WDMCHECK. Quite frankly, the work involved is often beyond  what most people are willing to do. There is also no guarantee that you will have any success. As with NT designed Video device drivers, NT SDcard adapter drivers just might not have potential to work with Win9x.

Edit:

-------

"You could try your luck with a PCMCIA SDcard Adapter, providing it has drivers for Win9x. But it might come with some built in size limitation (the driver's limitation, not a Windows limitation). You'd want to research the product before buying it. I've had partial luck with a cheap generic PCMCIA card. It uses IOS.xvd and ESDI_506.pdr, from Windows 98. But they are not sufficient, and potentially counter productive, towards the card's functionality. I haven't looked into it."

I looked into the PCMCIA/SDcard adapter, that I have (some cheap generic model). I assumed some functionality issues; but once the SDcard was formatted everything worked fine (32Gb). I'm guessing a PCMCIA/CFcard adapter would also work fine. But this is dependent on a couple of things.

One is your "CARD BUS" being functional. Some card bus .inf files, for Win9x, just reference Windows files. So if you find that your card bus is not installed, you could potentially build one using your card bus pci vender/device id.

The other is finding a PCMCIA card that isn't incompatible with Win9x. I can't make any promises, but the hardware is relatively simple; so most are likely fine.

-------

The best chance, is a SDCard to USB adapter. But it is my guess, that this isn't something your interested in.

Wish I had better news to share. It would be nice to use those SDcards. If I ever get NT SDcard adapter drivers to work for Win9x, I'll make a post about it. That kinda thing only happens when I get free time.

Edit: I've never tested one, but it is possible that a CFcard to PCMCIA adapter may work. I know that it wouldn't solve you problem. But for extra storage space, it might be an option. Some are designed to insert, with the CFcard, flush with the laptop's shell.

Edited by awkduck