Is Windows 7 possible on a Baytrail Chromebook? (2023)

Country Cat

Greetings. Apologies if this has already been asked in some form or another, but text guides often get outdated or replaced with simpler means. Also I searched the forums beforehand and got no results. Most guides I found only use Windows 10.

I was gifted an Acer C730 [GNAWTY] Chromebook a while back. I understand that Baytrail models support Windows 10 (I actually have it installed at the moment for software testing). However, I would like to downgrade to 7. If I cannot, I may have to move back to GalliumOS or some other lightweight Linux distribution.

I keep finding mixed answers on various forums, but I've also seen a lot of people outright say others shouldn't because 7 is obsolete. I'm just doing it for fun, so I don't really care if it's obsolete. I just want to know if it would even be possible. If anyone here has already tested it before, what were your results? Could you document any driver issues you had? Thank you for reading.

Edited by Country Cat
Added tags

• Country Cat changed the title to Is Windows 7 possible on a Baytrail Chromebook? (2023)

There are a few things to consider, but it should be possible.

UEFI-only installation : Use bootloader from FlashBoot Pro or ESU update + graphic driver integration.

NTOSKRNL_EMU : It will allow you to use backported generic USB 3.0, touchpad, and eMMC driver. You may have to backport other drivers by yourself.

7 hours ago, R1600 said:

There are a few things to consider, but it should be possible.

UEFI-only installation : Use bootloader from FlashBoot Pro or ESU update + graphic driver integration.

NTOSKRNL_EMU : It will allow you to use backported generic USB 3.0, touchpad, and eMMC driver. You may have to backport other drivers by yourself.

Thank you so much! Glad to finally get a clear answer on this. This is a great starting point. I will consider trying this out in the upcoming weeks and document my results here.

3 hours ago, Country Cat said:

Thank you so much! Glad to finally get a clear answer on this. This is a great starting point. I will consider trying this out in the upcoming weeks and document my results here.

good luck on your project!