How to make windows 8/8.1 weather app working again ?

NormanCyprien

Hello, I just installed windows 8.1 on one of my pc to try it but some metro apps don't work. I've read that mcrosoft ended support for a lot of MSN metro apps but that is not a problem since I don't use a lot metro apps. However, I would like to have the weather and the news. I don't see any error code (I just see that there is an error saying something like "Can't reach server"). Is there a patch or an update avaible to make thoses apps working again ?

• 2 months later...

I founded a solution to repair (nearly) all the metro apps. First, install Windows 8.1, then your drivers and connect to the internet. Update your system (maybe there are some updates that aren't necessery, but I installed all of them) and restart. Re-check for updates (maybe some weren't installed) multiple time until you dont have any update avaible (don't forget to restart every time you install some). 

Now some apps (like MSN Weather) will work again. To make the last metro apps that aren't working working (like MSN News), you will have to uninstall them and re-download them from the Windows Store. After that, nearly all the aps sould work. Unfortunately, you need a Microsoft account to download thoses apps from the Windows Store and some apps like MSN Travel have been discontinued so, I don't think there is a way to make them work again.

Edited by NormanCyprien

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...