Is it possible to install Windows XP x64 on a Surface Pro 1?

GD 2W10

Hi,

Is it possible to install Windows XP x64 on a Surface Pro 1, which is an Ivy Bridge machine (i5-3317U)? I have been able to install Windows 7 and Vista on the machine, even though Microsoft says it is unsupported because it's a UEFI-only device with no CSM, and now want to see if I can install Windows XP on there. I plan to use the Server 2008 winload.efi and FlashBootPro EFI files, or use the Quibble EFI files, to boot Windows XP (it is possible to boot XP on UEFI, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skzTESTEESA), and integrate drivers such as SATA drivers. I have been thinking of either installing XP in CSM on a VM, then adding the drivers (Intel HD Graphics 4000 and SATA drivers), and the EFI files, then backing up and imaging with Macrium Reflect, or using XP2ESD to install, which I haven't had success with on a VM as on the first boot, it fails to boot and gives me the 0xc0000098 error and says rcraid.sys is either missing or corrupt (and yes, I do disable driver signature enforcement). How would I get past that error? Other than running Windows XP in a VM, what solution would work?

Edited by GD 2W10

1 hour ago, GD 2W10 said:

I have been thinking of either installing XP in CSM on a VM, then adding the drivers (Intel HD Graphics 4000 and SATA drivers), and the EFI files, then backing up and imaging with Macrium Reflect, 

I tried this. I got the 0xc0000025 error on the SP1 and the VM. The SP1 said that "winload.efi" was either missing or corrupt when it is infact present, while on the VM it let me boot with driver signature enforcement off, but then says that "An unexpected error has occured."

Edited by GD 2W10

On 2/5/2023 at 3:20 PM, GD 2W10 said:

XP2ESD to install, which I haven't had success with on a VM as on the first boot, it fails to boot and gives me the 0xc0000098 error and says rcraid.sys is either missing or corrupt (and yes, I do disable driver signature enforcement).

I fixed it by deleting rcraid.sys in the registry. However, it hangs on "Starting Windows Vista". I have heard that this is fixed by installing graphics drivers, which worked for me in the past.

Edited by GD 2W10

On 2/5/2023 at 3:20 PM, GD 2W10 said:

XP2ESD to install, which I haven't had success with on a VM as on the first boot, it fails to boot and gives me the 0xc0000098 error and says rcraid.sys is either missing or corrupt (and yes, I do disable driver signature enforcement)

I got past that error on the Surface Pro 1 by deleting rcraid.sys in the registry. However, when I try to boot Windows XP x64 with Driver Signature Enforcement off, it gives me a BSOD. However, I am unable to read it, it appears as a red bar above the "Starting Windows Vista" boot screen.

Edited by GD 2W10

15 minutes ago, GD 2W10 said:

I got past that error on the Surface Pro 1 by deleting rcraid.sys in the registry. However, when I try to boot Windows XP x64 with Driver Signature Enforcement off, it gives me a BSOD. However, I am unable to read it, it appears as a red bar above the "Starting Windows Vista" boot screen.

I went on Safe Mode and found out it crashed on amd_ahci.sys. I then deleted it in the registry. When I booted it again, it still gave me a BSOD, both with Driver Signature Enforcement on and without it on. I booted it back into Safe Mode and found out it was crashing on crcdisk.sys.