windows 7 x64 on a i7-3770k?

legacyfan

I'm working on saving up the money to make a windows 7 gaming computer and I was wondering if this cpu would be powerful enough to run it and if it would be compatible with windows 7 I don't want to end up making a good computer to find out a part won't work so my question is will it work? if anyone could help with this it would be much appreciated-legacyfan (also this is my first custom built pc ive ever tried to make)

It will work with Windows 7 just fine. The 3rd generation Ivy Bridge also supported XP and Vista. Windows 7 support will go up to Skylake (6th gen) officially. Also Kabylake and even Coffelake will mostly work but unofficially driver wise.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:36 PM, legacyfan said:

Thanks @ByQuadCore For The Information I'll Go With That Processor On My Computer

Also, a friendly reminder to get a compatible motherboard for that processor (LGA1155).  A first build can be a little daunting, but it should go well so long as you did your research. (b ᵔ▽ᵔ)b

• 5 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 5:48 PM, legacyfan said:

I'm working on saving up the money to make a windows 7 gaming computer and I was wondering if this cpu would be powerful enough to run it and if it would be compatible with windows 7 I don't want to end up making a good computer to find out a part won't work so my question is will it work? if anyone could help with this it would be much appreciated-legacyfan (also this is my first custom built pc ive ever tried to make)

Will work on Windows 7 just fine. Can also go up to 22H2 Windows 11 via the "Skip all System Requirements" option in Rufus.  

why it shouldn't work on 7... On 7 you can even run 5800x3d or 7gen am5 ryzens or 12-13gen intel cpus

here i am using on r7 2700 without any modded drivers(just i installed generic usb3 drivers instead amd proprietary ones for usap support)

Edited by adi2137px

I went from a 65 watt Ivy Bridge setup to a 65 watt Skylake setup.  There was only a few percent improvement in speed.  Be sure to only have 4 GB of memory when you install Windows 7.  There is an installation bug that causes a BSOD with more than 4 GB memory.  Add the rest of your memory after installation is complete.

1 hour ago, mshultz said:

Add the rest of your memory after installation is complete.

I installed W7 x64 on a Kaby Lake and H110 motherboard with 8GB of RAM (in one module) There was no problem at all. So, either you have a defective RAM bone, or there is a problem with its contact in the slot. Alternatively, you have something misaligned in the BIOS or a corrupted ISO.

Edited by mjd79