BUG: LogicalDisk and PhysicalDisk performance objects no longer appear after installing Win2K SP4 (KB828603)

Hello everyone! :hello:

It's been a while since I posted this, but if after installing Windows 2000 SP4, the Logical and PhysicalDisk performance objects no longer appear in the Performance object list of the Windows Performance tool.

This means that I can no longer monitor logical or physical disk performance and event IDs 1009 and 1017 are logged.

Event ID: 1009

Event Source : Perflib
Category: None
Event ID : 1009
Date: date
Time: time
Type : Error
User: N/A
Computer: computername
Description: The Open Procedure for service "PerfDisk" in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\perfdisk.dll" generated an exception. Performance data for this service will not be available. Exception code returned is data DWORD 0.

Data: C0000005

Event ID: 1017

Event Source : Perflib
Category: None
Event ID : 1017
Date: date
Time: time
Type : Error
User: N/A
Computer: NT5
Description: Performance counter data collection from the "PerfDisk" service has been disabled due to one or more errors generated by the performance counter library for that service. The error(s) that forced this action have been written to the application event log. The error(s) should be corrected before the performance counters for this service are enabled again.

On my VMware Win2K machine, since I have more than one hard disk installed on the computer, the problem occurs and the buffer in the Windows Performance tool is insufficient to contain all of the hard disk information resulting in a access violation, because more hard disks exist than are recorded in the hard disk buffer. :(

Microsoft does have a hotfix for this issue, but I can't seem to find it. If you have found the hotfix to fix the bug that causes LogicalDisk and PhysicalDisk performance objects to no longer appear, please post it here. :)

Edited by ppgrainbow

• ppgrainbow changed the title to BUG: LogicalDisk and PhysicalDisk performance objects no longer appear after installing Win2K SP4 (KB828603)

All I had to do was to download the Windows2000-KB828603-x86-ENU.exe file, apply the fix and the problem is resolved!

UPDATE: After applying the fix, only PhysicalDisk performance counter is enabled. In order for LogicalDisk performance counter to be displayed, I had to type DISKPERF -YV to enable the LogicalDisk performance counter and reboot.

:)

Edited by ppgrainbow
Additional Information