keeping the same acount name

Is there a trick to keep the same acount name in c:\doccuments ans settings? the first time I install on a fresh HD it use c:\doccuments and settings\myname, but the second time, cause the name allready existe it use c:\doccuments and settings\administrator.myname. I want to put thinks in that place, like my favorite, but I can't because the phisical emplacement change after re-install.

you could always create a user at the cmdlines.txt stage (T-13) and then autologin as that user and call a cmd script to copy over the files, or you could use the all users folder under documents and settings which would put them there however all the other users on the computer would have them :rolleyes:, so i would say your best bet is the 1st thing i mentioned above :)

ok, but if I re-install windows, it will not be phisicaly in the same place, right?

but the trick of all user is interesting for favorite, I have never think about that, but this is not pratical for all files.

My Unattended CD is almost finish, but I allways search how to use the same physical name. I can create a user acout, no problême... the first time this is c:\documments and settings\myname\ but if I re-install the second time this is c:\documments and settings\myname.000\ and c:\documments and settings\myname.001\....... Is it possible in a windows xp instalation to re-use the same folder from the old instalation so keeping all your doccuments and favorite from the last instalation widout manualy copy it after the instalation. Cause I don't know what will be the old windows directory and the new one, it depend on how many time I have installed it, so I can't do a batch file for that task. Anyone Have an Idea?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

if exist "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\myname" goto end
net user myname /add
net localgroup Administrators myname /add
net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited

REGEDIT /S autologon.reg

:end
Exit

If you are using a batch file to create an account that already exists. Why not use if exists?

3 Accounts?

if exist "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\myname" goto user2
net user myname /add

REGEDIT /S autologon.reg

:user2
if exist "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\myname2" goto user3
net user myname2 /add
net localgroup Administrators myname2 /add

:user3
if exist "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\myname3" goto end
net user myname3 /add
net localgroup Administrators myname3 /add

Exit

:rolleyes:

if exist "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\myname" ren "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\myname" "%systemdrive%\documents and settings\myname-old"
net user myname /add

REGEDIT /S autologon.reg

Exit

Perhaps you could try this if required.

Normally, if you reinstall over the top of a windows installation, the accounts are kept?