sp1 question

prnstar

I installed the serive pack the other day and all appeared to go well. However now when i try to access the add & remove function in the control panel I get an error. This was not the case when I first updated, it was working properly. I am getting the following error.

parser message: value creation failed" at line 471

does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this problem. I am using XP pro corporate with a valid key and everything else on the os seems to work fine. The only thing I have done recently was to purge the dllcache in system32 folder in order to overwrite the uxtheme.dll file. I don't think this would have caused the problem but if anyone can shead any light I would appreciate the help

i've seen a few people with this problem (myself being one of them). i believe the problem is with windows themes as crazy as that may sound. i got that error with some themes, and not with others. that's the only conclusion i could come up with. try switching to default or luna themes and see if the problem continues.

good luck

I also have heard that the uxtheme.dll has been changed when going from regular windows XP to SP1.. So if you used that patch, that may have caused some problems also..

but i would recommend what sedative said.. The theme build up will be different for each service pack (since Ms thinks its a good idea :) )

So before updating to a newer service pack, ALWAYS switch back to a regularly available theme like Luna or Windows Classic..

Let us know how it goes :rolleyes:

Blackwar

Excellent, it worked like a dream. Not sure about this service pack though? now I'm having problems with outlook express, bloody thing wont download any mail from the servers. anyway thx for the help and heres the error i now receive from outlook. Have 4 email accounts it download and some are on different servers, so they shouldn't all be down at the same time.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail', Server: 'mail', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK 136562 octets follow.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail (1)', Server: 'mail', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK 5271 octets follow.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.ihug.com.au', Server: 'pop.ihug.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK 2386 octets', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.ihug.com.au (1)', Server: 'pop.ihug.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK 8549 octets', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Any ideas on this one?

delete reference to the above I've found the problem. Turns out that an irca filter i installed to stop the kiddies receiving all that s*** whilst browsing was the cause of the problem. All fixed, i uninstalled the mongrel.