Win 2K3 IIS server FTP config? (passive mode)

wl6538

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a FTP server using IIS and W2K3, my server is curren;t behind firewall, so I think I need to set up a range of Ports for passive FTP mode.

The problem is in the IIS management console, I only see the option for the main port but not for passive mode? Am I missing something?

Thanks

I did a bit of searching around later, and It was mentioned somewhere in the IIS help file, but it said something along the line that you can't do it in the IIS console but have to use VBScripting instead... well OK, I guess I can either learn VBScipt just to open some passive ports, or use Serv-U FTP instead which is what I am using now on XP (and it has more features)

I am new to IIS so I really don't get all these FTP, SMTP, POP, and Web server configurations.

Corrently, for FTP I use Serv-U FTP which is feature rich and very easy to configure, I use ArGoSoft Mail Server, which is good as well. I use Apache web server and the config file is not difficult to set up.

But, IIS, to start with, Why is the SMTP and POP console seperated? it is so strange I can setup an account for SMTP but then that account is not automatically set up for POP.

IIS FTP is basic at best, I can't configure passive mode etc etc

One of my biggest problem is why does everything has to go thru Windows user accounts? Why can't I have FTP or SMTP user that is not an user of the Windows system or the domain? I just want to set some **** user names and passwords!

sorry about my ranting, I will shut up now.

• 2 weeks later...