Explorer shell. How can i make it running ...

toreach

I wanna make the explorer shell to run completely from my memorydisk...

I guess i need to know every file and every registryentry to do this. Or whatever you think i should know to make it.

So if anyone here could tell me some tips i would be really happy. Doesnt matter what kind of tip. the more things to think of the better.

Thanks

//edit

Actually im running LiteStep on my RamDisk. And i am wondering how much faster some programs can start only because of this (5 to 10 times faster from ACDSee up to MS Word 2003 / Adobe Photoshop). neither i have tried it with a normal disk yet nor i will. but i would really like to test this with the explorer shell.

So... what files are for explorer shell? Anyone knows?

I don't really see how that would speed things up; in fact it would probably make things slower. The Windows shell does not run from your hard disk, it is loaded into memory at startup and it stays there. So it's already loaded in RAM anyway. If you run it from a RAM disk (and I'm not sure that's even possible) each time you started the computer you would have to wait for the RAM disk to be created (which takes away from the available amount of system memory also), then for the shell files to be copied to it, and then loaded into memory (again). Remember the contents of a RAM disk are lost when you shut down. I really don't think it's even possible to do that anyway, though I could be wrong. I just don't see any point in doing so. A RAM disk is useful for storing files that must be constantly loaded from the hard disk.

Nah,

its really not that complex what im trying to do. we are not living in 1995 anymore :)

Im using a ramdisk that will start directly after the bootmenu! the ramdisk driver is the first driver that will be loaded on startup! it can be configured to be a harddisk or to be identified as a true ramddisk.

an image can be loaded right after the driver. and the disk can be up to the size of the whole systm memory - 256MB (256->Thats what XP reserves! anyone knows a hint to change this value?). 768 in my case. there are many options available on how to update the image.

putting my swapfile on it is really easy but too much waste of memory. i dont want everything in my memory!

best would be to build an explorer shell installation package... but i dont know. at first ill have to make it work by myself!

the rest is in the edited part of my first post!

most wanted is a list of all explorer shell files... maybe some dll`s and explorer files are enough to make it...