Wireless Client Utilities for Windows XP

Ascii2

I have been having diffuculty finding decent Wireless, IEEE 802.11 client utilities for Windows XP.

Windows XP comes with its Wireless Zero Configuration utility and service to manage and connect to Wireless networks, but the utility has notable shortcomings:

• Many EAP Authentication methods are not available.
  • Only one of multiple access points with the same SSID/name is displayed.
  • Identifying access points details such as frequency, channel, or MAC addresses is not possible.

The purpose of this thread is to document and facilitate the identification and finding of alternative software wireless clients.  I shall attempt to organize information into this post.  Please provide information regarding known software clients and experiences.  I am also available via PM for issues that some may rather not post directly here.  For example, if there is a concern about a software mod that may break a license, about software that normally should not normally be distributed, or for other reasons, please, send a PM.

I have been doing research for such clients recently, and have been able to identify some usable clients, but unfortunately, many such clients have been discontinued and are no longer easy to find.

The sources for other wireless software client utilities are typically of the following classes:

• Enterprise software - software intended for business use and targeted for business customers.
  • Hardware designers (ODMs) or manufactures (OEMs) - drivers for hardware products often also have included wireless client utilities.  These software, however, can be limited to particular hardware.
  • Party that provides wireless services (typically for a fee) - software may connect to a provider's services and also provide the means to connect to foreign/other networks.
  • Other parties that provide wireless software clients - This may include open source software and other closed-source software released to the public.

My notes about software found:

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
I have not found a copy of the software to try.
No other known information yet.

Cisco Secure Services Client

SecureW2 Enterprise Client
I have only found a restricted (trial) version of the software to try.

XpressConnect by Cloudpath Networks

Juniper Odyssey Client

Open1X

Boingo Wireless Utility
Last known working version:  2.3.0073 (please post if there is a newer version)
URL:  https://web.archive.org/web/20071010213632/http://www.boingo.com/downloads/BW1201/boingoinstaller.exe
Notes:  Tested on Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.  Although software has better support for EAP Authentication options, I have often not been able to achieve connections where I should.  Other access points with the same SSID are also not shown.

WPA/WPA2/IEEE 802.1X Supplicant
Last known working version:  0.7.3
URL:  http://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/

Similar threads to this issue have been posted here at MSFN.org for Windows 95/98 and Windows 2000, but not for Windows XP.  The Windows 9x thread appears to provide all the information I found from the other sources and is available at: 

Edited by Ascii2