DWM - help

dragonel

hi

i run windows 7 on my i7 6700hq and 32gb ram & nvidia quadro m2000m

my laptop screen can be overclocked to 97hz from 60, so i use this custom refresh rate, as games are a lot smoother

but, if i disable dwm, chrome has a terrible tearing, especially in youtube (https://imgur.com/T0j8pi4)

does anyone know how can i fix this? i'd like to use the basic theme (without dwm)

Sadly, this is a problem I had to face myself, there's nothing you can do.

Disabling/removing DWM/switching to Basic/Classic theme in Windows 7 disables global Vsync for the entire desktop that DWM provides.

Since you're at more than 60Hz, it's even more noticeable.

In Windows 8/8.1/10 DWM cannot be removed normally, therefore Vsync is always turned on and on there, everything looks fine.

Not to mention, DWM in Windows 7 helps you with the GPU acceleration for the desktop drawing, rather than having it all on the CPU.

While I myself had used classic theme on Windows 7 and disabled DWM in services.msc, I think the constant screen tearing is not worth the trade-off.

Best bet is to turn on Aero, use small taskbar size, and disable any animations.

Your GPU is between GT 1030 and GTX 1050, it can handle Aero :)

Aero really got bad wrap back when Vista came out, people still had MX440's in their PCs back then. The drivers were very buggy at the beginning, as it was a completely new WDDM architecture.

In Windows 7, Aero is not discouraged anymore and was perfected in my opinion. But the bad image stayed from the Vista days.

Yes, there are some annoyances with Aero with the annoying messages (The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic,) but that's easily fixable:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/70829-program-compatibility-assistant-enable-disable.html