Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
tf311

Activation issue

Hello, I tried to activate my Win XP Pro after I reinstalled it but it keeps returning error 32781 with the message "Online activation cannot be completed at this time". There is no problem with my internet connection. I tried again after getting the latest updates, but it still returns the same error. Could Micro$oft have pulled the Window XP activation servers?

1 hour ago, tf311 said:

Hello, I tried to activate my Win XP Pro after I reinstalled it but it keeps returning error 32781 with the message "Online activation cannot be completed at this time". There is no problem with my internet connection. I tried again after getting the latest updates, but it still returns the same error. Could Micro$oft have pulled the Window XP activation servers?

try telephone activation

12 hours ago, roytam1 said:

try telephone activation

Thank you. Phone activation worked. :)

Yes the past several times I had to call the friendly activation robot as well.

21 minutes ago, i430VX said:

Yes the past several times I had to call the friendly activation robot as well.

I remember when I had to do this before I even had internet, what a pain! What was even more painful is I never realized before that I could punch in the numbers on the keypad rather than speak them. Sometimes when I'd speak them, they wouldn't get the numbers right and I'd have to speak to one of their esteemed representatives in India and most of the time all they needed was one block of letters and then they'd give you your activation ID. But entering it on the keypad ensures they don't screw them up. It would be interesting though to confirm if it's just a recent issue or if Microsoft indeed pulled the activation servers. If that's the case, I wonder if Microsoft will ever just issue an activation patch that will just completely bypass it all together or if the phone option will always be an option. Hard to imagine they'd keep a hotline open for it forever though.

Microsoft made an explicit promise to bypass activation if they ever stopped supporting it.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tommy said:

I remember when I had to do this before I even had internet, what a pain! What was even more painful is I never realized before that I could punch in the numbers on the keypad rather than speak them. Sometimes when I'd speak them, they wouldn't get the numbers right and I'd have to speak to one of their esteemed representatives in India and most of the time all they needed was one block of letters and then they'd give you your activation ID. But entering it on the keypad ensures they don't screw them up. It would be interesting though to confirm if it's just a recent issue or if Microsoft indeed pulled the activation servers. If that's the case, I wonder if Microsoft will ever just issue an activation patch that will just completely bypass it all together or if the phone option will always be an option. Hard to imagine they'd keep a hotline open for it forever though.

As of a couple of years ago, the phone activation system can text a cell phone a link, rather than speaking it. It doesn't even have to be a smartphone, just needs to be text-enabled. You can just type the link it gives into your computer web browser and type the codes, or (obviously) just tap the link on your smartphone)

You can still do it the painful way if you're on a landline or if you just like pain.

Edited by i430VX

20 hours ago, i430VX said:

As of a couple of years ago, the phone activation system can text a cell phone a link, rather than speaking it. It doesn't even have to be a smartphone, just needs to be text-enabled. You can just type the link it gives into your computer web browser and type the codes, or (obviously) just tap the link on your smartphone)

You can still do it the painful way if you're on a landline or if you just like pain.

Wouldn't do me any good since all I do have is a landline telephone, I don't go into mobile things at all. But it is interesting how they can do that sort of thing now. Do you just send a message to the phone number the activation window gives you and then it sends you a special link? But what if you're not hooked into the internet?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Tommy said:

Wouldn't do me any good since all I do have is a landline telephone, I don't go into mobile things at all. But it is interesting how they can do that sort of thing now. Do you just send a message to the phone number the activation window gives you and then it sends you a special link? But what if you're not hooked into the internet?

No, it's a link they text you. starts with m.vivr.io/ and some letters
Specifically, they ask:

"First, are you calling from a smartphone?" <yes...>

"Do you want me to send that text message? <yes...>

"If you got that, feel free to hang up." 

No internet at all would still be an issue, but the link they send you is not device specific, as in you could type it into the computer's browser. (Which I do, because i can't stand typing on the phone.)

Out of curiosity, I did try texting the number. It doesn't work that way. Got a delivery failure response from my cell carrier.

On a side note, maybe this fancy feature only exists on certain numbers. I use the 716 area code toll number because I live right next to that area code so its not long distance, and i had issues with the toll-free (1-800-) one before anyways.

Edited by i430VX

The system that sends out that link is not a phone, that is why you cannot text to it.

That activation link was a godsend when I was involved in doing a Windows 10 migration. So many machines just wouldn't activate and having that link saved a lot of time.

I have a bunch of XP x64 keys that won't activate in the normal way (though I got a couple to actually activate normally somehow; still don't know how or why), so perhaps I can try this method next time I try installing using these keys?

c

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, cc333 said:

I have a bunch of XP x64 keys that won't activate in the normal way (though I got a couple to actually activate normally somehow; still don't know how or why), so perhaps I can try this method next time I try installing using these keys?

c

I'd say you have a good chance of them working with the phone method, yes.

Edited by i430VX

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 11:31 PM, rloew said:

Microsoft made an explicit promise to bypass activation if they ever stopped supporting it.

Microsoft has also promised other things that they would or would not do in the future and have broken such promises.  An example of this is providing for availability of past updates for Windows XP; many of the updates have now been removed.

They generally qualify their promises with EOL limitations.

When XP came out, people were worried that they could get stranded if Microsoft stopped supporting activation for XP.

Microsoft made the specific promise that they would provide a means to eliminate the activation requirement if they ever stopped supporting activation for XP.