Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

JTB3

Thank You Big Muscle For New Aero Glass Build 1.5.8

On 3/22/2018 at 7:02 PM, UCyborg said:

In reality, majority of GPUs handle composition with glass effect just fine. But in the end the choice for the lowest common denominator was there to stay. When you think about the fact that removal took collaboration between 9 departments, then it was re-implemented single-handedly by @bigmuscle. Just wow! And the ability to configure it to one's liking is always a plus.

This is strange, the talk about there being no time to implement a flip-switch. Windows 7 actually has transparency switch in Window Color and Appearance panel.

Or the thing about boot process on Windows 8+ being so fast there's no time to register F8 keypress at startup. Documentation about BCD setting bootmenupolicy states that in default state, the keypress is ignored. But that's not what they said when they were promoting Windows 8.

Seems that larger amount of obvious bugs manage to slip through these days. Breaking something in the code is really easy. Developers always tend to find things that could be done differently, for better or worse, then a buggy update is released and people rant about it on the internet.

I know in this case you meant the design decision to remove Aero Glass. For some of these decisions, we're lucky to get a really good alternative. Aero Glass didn't have as much configuration options in Windows 7/Vista, did it? I remember some hacked Windows 7 DWM DLLs floating around that make window frames completely transparent.

Great post, UCyborg!  Thank you very much for providing such revealing information.

I wonder whether or not Microsoft now regrets the fate of Aero Glass now that they are phasing out certain consumer hardware?

I remember the first time I booted up Windows Vista RTM way back and how blown away I was with the UI design.  Granted, Vista was a memory hog, I thought, but Windows 7 was a triumph (and still their best OS release to date).  I still run it as a virtual machine for a multitude of reasons, but I digress.

BigMuscle, you're a hero in my eyes for what you've done (yes, I'm a dork - f***in' right), but I do remain fadingly-hopeful that Microsoft re-implements Aero Glass back into Windows sooner or later, but I'll always appreciate your ongoing work.  And I'll pitch in some more money as well - you've definitely earned it.

12 minutes ago, sbkw1983 said:

do remain fadingly-hopeful that Microsoft re-implements Aero Glass back into Windows sooner or later

Nope.  They are doing Acrylic now.

On 31. 3. 2018 at 2:52 AM, sbkw1983 said:

I wonder whether or not Microsoft now regrets the fate of Aero Glass now that they are phasing out certain consumer hardware?

Doesn't look like it.

On 31. 3. 2018 at 3:06 AM, dhjohns said:

Nope.  They are doing Acrylic now.

Which is the UWP thing.

Just wanna ask if payment (donation) is actual for one version, or it is for every next update valid?

9 hours ago, Wolfie123 said:

Just wanna ask if payment (donation) is actual for one version, or it is for every next update valid?

It's valid for every version on the same hardware.

Microsoft windows 10 1803 build 17133.1 has broken AeroGlass once again....(sigh).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wolfshadow said:

Microsoft windows 10 1803 build 17133.1 has broken AeroGlass once again....(sigh).

Aeroglass is optional.  You really don't need it.  I am sure that Bigmuscle will have it fixed in about 6 months or so! Just in time for the next major update this fall.

7 hours ago, dhjohns said:

Aeroglass is optional.  You really don't need it.  I am sure that Bigmuscle will have it fixed in about 6 months or so! Just in time for the next major update this fall.

Let's be careful about our negative assumptions...  @bigmuscle just posted (today) a brand-new experimental build 1303 for W10 v1803 build 17133!  Many, many thanks BigMuscle!  :cool:

5acd3dd36ad54_AeroGlassExperimentalBuild1303.png.831dc13b16949d5ab128687a142bf19a.png

I'm recommending that we post any feedback and/or bugs related to this experimental build on this new post/page:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177679-aero-glass-experimental-builds-for-w10-v1803-feedback-bugs/
Cheers, -JT

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, dhjohns said:

I am sure that Bigmuscle will have it fixed in about 6 months or so!

Nah, maybe a month or two for the release build.

9 hours ago, JTB3 said:

Let's be careful about our negative assumptions...  @bigmuscle just posted (today) a brand-new experimental build 1303 for W10 v1803 build 17133!  Many, many thanks BigMuscle!  :cool:

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 7:03 PM, JTB3 said:

5acd3dd36ad54_AeroGlassExperimentalBuild1303.png.831dc13b16949d5ab128687a142bf19a.png

I'm recommending that we post any feedback and/or bugs related to this experimental build on this new post/page:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177679-aero-glass-experimental-builds-for-w10-v1803-feedback-bugs/
Cheers, -JT

Thank you @JTB3 Have it installed, and any problems I will def post on your link.

And @dhjohns ,really...It was not long ago you were a staunch supporter of @bigmuscle and AeroGlass. If you are enamored with Acrylic then leave the negativity at the door. Acrylic is not AeroGlas and never will be. With AeroGlass, I have both worlds.

• Like 2