Issues with MSI 970A SLI Krait - Help needed...

ragnargd

Hi,

i've installed W98SE on an MSI 970A SLI Krait, and also installed XP pro 32bit, and W10 home 64bit.

------------------------------------

Hardware:

AMD FX 4320 (4 cores, 95W TDP, 4GHz base, 4.2 HGz Turbo)

Soundblaster Audigy PCI

TP-Link RTL8111B Gigabit PCIe 1x

1 GB Ram (all works fine with 32GB, might have 16GB in the end)

3 SSDs (60GB SATA III FAT32 for W98SE, 120GB SATA III NTFS for XP, 240GB SATA III NTFS for W10 home 64bit)

1 DVD-RAM SATA

2 x EVGA NVidia GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB PCIe, linked with SLI bridge

USB2 works on all OS (compatibility set to "Auto", USB3 on XP and W10)

Temporarily a SATA I-controller to have a DVD on W98SE, but will most probably switch to RLoews SATA-patch, IF i keep this machine...

The minor issues

The OS and hardware installed, there were only minor issues:

- i had to switch to Ushers method early on during the installation of W98SE even with just 1 GB of Ram

- on this board, although the chipset allows for it, MSI did not implement separate ATA/AHCI-settings for the SATA-channels 5 and 6, so i installed W98SE on the controller in IDE/ATA-mode, and when installing XP and W10, switched to AHCI-mode. This of course set the controller in W98SE to compatibility-mode, which voids the use of other SATA-Devices (like the DVD-RAM). I used an add-in SATA-I controller for $things from DVD, but removed it later. I guess this means getting RLoews SATA-patch later on, if i want to have normal operations with the onboard-controller set to AHCI. This is a minor issue on W98SE, though, as with the SSD, the system is still fast.

- The board has bad quality-control by MSI, so many people had to swap boards with their seller, until they had a working one in the end, and so was me: Only on the third attempt i had a working one.

SLI-Issues

No, there is no SLI on W98SE (yet). I'm pretty sure this will not change, as i learned about SLI from i.e. the "Hybrid-SLI"-mod-community, and i know, the issue is complicated.

Still, i wanted to use SLI at least on XP and W10.

My question, now (already posted on the german MSI-forum, and NVidias SLI-support-community-forum):

Why does the SLI-option not show up in my NVidia-System panel (in XP or W10) ?!?

I know this is not directly related to W9x... if you can point me to a place where this is to be located... move this thread, and tell me... :)

I know that RLoew has this board as well: Did you try SLI? Do you have any idea?

Cheers, Ragnar G.D.

Edited by ragnargd