WinFS

BlitzKrieg

I understand it's just a pre-release beta but is the new filesystem working in anyway? I just got the MSDN disc with it on it...should I even bother? I haven't installed it yet, I can install it on a pretty hefty system so I won't worry about system resources even with a memory leak. Most of the reason why I want to even play with Longhorn is the new filesystem. Any relevant info is appreciated.

The file system does work, but hogs resources. You can see it in action by dropping files into the Storage folder, and watch WinFS sort them.

Longhorn 4051 does have WinFS built in and WinFS does do all of the things i mentioned above. But theres one problem. When working with WinFS the system becomes very slow and the WinFS engine sucks down resources. This will be fixed in time of course as Microsoft optimizes the code but for now it is best to disable WinFS to get a massive speed gain in Longhorn (plus i wouldn't trust WinFS to be stable enough to house my data just yet). Disabling WinFS will kill Outlook Express because it relies on the database storage features of WinFS. Whether or not you disable it is purely up to you but I am just letting my opinion be heard.

Quoted from Chris123NT's 4051 Tweak Guide.

I'd say go ahead and install it, it's very interesting to play around with.