Application to make windows 10 into Windows 7 UI wise.

Ven

Hello Friends,

Its been a long time since I came here, but I've always loved the projects like Xpize and Vize. Back to the main point. I'm looking for an all-in-one application that will make the taskbar, photo viewer, media player, internet explorer and all the weird data collection and phoning home things in windows 10 revert back to the windows 7 style of doing things.

I know I can google for individual tweaks, but I'm looking for something where I press a magic button and windows 10 looks and feels like Windows 7. I hope something exists out there.

Best Regards

I haven't seen a turnkey "magic button" application to do it, but it is doable so maybe your hopes will ultimately be answered.

It is a worthwhile goal - there is nothing wrong with wanting an optimized desktop experience.  Maybe Apps will mature and become useful one day - but that day is not this day.

Things I know that seem pertinent:

• Big Muscle's Aero Glass for Win 8+ can be used to restore glass effects and drop shadows, etc.
  • There are Win 7-like themes now (Aero7 comes to mind) that restore a good look and feel to controls.
  • Classic Shell can replace the Windows Start Menu and is well implemented.
  • I have created (and am still working on) a retweaker script that rids the system of all Apps and turns off online chattiness.
  • The system CAN be run with UAC disabled and deliver a decent desktop experience.
  • With much of the App-specific stuff disabled, the system returns to being reasonably efficient.

I already have a Win 10 setup that is essentially what you're asking for.

Thing is, with every new build, Microsoft puts all their effort into Apps and either just lets the desktop slide or actively does things to reduce its appeal.  Because of this Windows 10 seems on a dead end road unless magically somehow Apps get a LOT better.  I really don't see that happening.  The "Universal Windows Platform" concept, besides embodying the "jack of all trades and master of none" just doesn't seem very well implemented.  Even on supercomputer hardware Apps just feel complicated and sluggish.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC