20 Facts About Windows XP

Monroe

On 16 March 2016 at 10:23 PM, FranceBB said:

Well, to be fair, it is pixelated nowadays.

I mean, XP has been released in 2001-2002 and we didn't have the monitors we have now. If we take a look at the TV standards back in the days, everything was 720x480 anamorphic and interlaced, with early DVDs made in MPEG-2 8bit 4:2:0. 

I mean, when I boot XP now, even the boot logo has some ringing artifacts, but that's simply because it wasn't meant to work at resolutions like 1080p or 2160p. Microsoft itself didn't expect XP to last this much when they released it the very first time, in fact it works perfectly with old CRT monitor and with 800p progress monitor.

As to the UI itself, instead, it scales perfectly with resolutions as high as 1080p (I mean the login page and the Start button/menu.

High resolution monitors have been available for a long time. In fact, high res CRTs were used in a lot of offices in the late '90s, for graphic design and publishing, etc. High res LCDs have been around since at least 2000 or so.

As for the Windows XP setup music, I believe it was used in some other Microsoft product's setup first. Something to do with early Internet Explorer, I think.