Unable to use DISM to remove payload from Windows 10 wims

hlv76296

Hello.

I have been trying to use Win10 DISM to try to slim down an install.wim. To my horror, even with the "/remove" parameter, DISM refuses to remove any packages' payload; it just shows up as "Disabled", not "Disabled with payload removed". Removing "Features" or "Provisioned Appx Packages" work fine.
Please, does a way exist to "force" DISM to do the removal?

Thank you

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity, how small of a size are you going for?  Using an install.esd over an install.wim will save you ~1GB of space, and considering the unpacked install.wim/esd is ~19GB, that's a fairly substantial compression ratio.

Out of curiosity, how small of a size are you going for? Using an install.esd over an install.wim will save you ~1GB of space, and considering the unpacked install.wim/esd is ~19GB, that's a fairly substantial compression ratio.

Around here allot of people aren't happy with that little he might want less than two gigs

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Out of curiosity, how small of a size are you going for? Using an install.esd over an install.wim will save you ~1GB of space, and considering the unpacked install.wim/esd is ~19GB, that's a fairly substantial compression ratio.

Around here allot of people aren't happy with that little he might want less than two gigs

I was asking how small they wanted it in order to offer suggestions on how to ensure it's a smaller image... normally, one would construe what I asked as meaning that.

ESD was mentioned because it has a more efficient compression ratio.

Can esd files be made on a personal system? If so actually tell us how.

And you repeatedly ask if I have real world experience?  Are you sure you're not projecting?

dism /export-image /sourceimagefile:z:\install.wim /sourceindex:1 /destinationimagefile:z:\install.esd /compress:recovery /checkintegrity

One could also download the ESD2WIM zip file that's been on this forum for years, which includes it's own DISM folder and cmd script.

Edited by jmonroe0914