Sharing printers on Server 2003

stapper

Hi All,

I've got the following "issue" which I can't seem to figure out myself. I have a home network of 3 computers:

- 1 server, running on Windows Server 2003

- 1 desktop, running on Windows XP Professional

- 1 laptop, running on Windows XP Home

I have installed the printersoftware and drivers (Canon i850) on the server machine and connected the printer to the server with USB. In my setting I have shared the printer for all users in the network, giving the group 'users' all rights.

However, when I want to print a document from the laptop or desktop, I get the message that the printer is not available. But when I first manually connect to the server (via explorer --> network --> server), then there's no problem at all.

Obviously this has something to do with user-rights and all that, especially since I have to enter a username & password when I want to connect to the server. However I can't seem to solve this by appointing rights to users, owners, administrators or whatever. So what am I doing wrong here? :)

It could be because your uname is in more groups than only in 'users' and that other group doesn't have rights to print... you could try to create a user that is only in the 'users' group... that could help, dunno about the USB-thingie, could be that via USB you have to be a admin to use the port -> printer

I am running my network in workgroup mode. Haven't got to the domain-thingie yet (yep, I'm just getting started with this server-stuff, but I'm a quick learner :rolleyes: ) But I think that it shouldn't really matter :) Even in workgroup mode you should be able to share printers without having to logon to the server each time.

I'll look into the tip of creating just one user in one usergroup, but as far as I know I haven't created the same user in multiple usergroups.

The search continues ... :D