Graphic card support for Windows 98SE

supernova777

hey there guys!

so... i found some apps i wanted to run that work best under win98.

so i started along this path rediscovering older hardware and which peices will work with what. blah blah blah

i was given an ABIT BE6 Motherboard that only accepts AGP 2x compatible cards

i had a helluva time getting widescreen support enabled for my Samsung 226bW monitor that i have for this system

how i ended up getting it:

i took a geforce2MX graphics card from a powermac g4 quicksilver that had died...

and i flashed the rom to a VisionTek Xtasy Geforce2MX bios

this card now functions perfectly under pc!

and i edited the INF file to add the lines needed for the 1680x1050 resolution

when i first tried this i had failed because i put thelines in the wrong part of the .inf file

there are sections labeld NV10 and sections labeled NV30

these are the different GPU chip series

not just random codes;) and the geforce2mx is powered by the NV10 series chips (not NV10 specifically but rather NV15 or NV17 i cant remember but its before NV20, or NV30 etc)

the first time i had put the vidmode info lines into the nv30 area of the .inf file so it had no effect

once i realized the different names of the gpus and changed the inf i had success.

knowing is half the battle! GI JOE! (lol)

ok.. so now ive also gotten my hands on an EVGA 6200 AGP card with 512mb ram

at first i had tried to install it with the nvidia driver package 77.72 installed and what happened is the os wouldnt boot up

and it would reboot everytime on boot up untill i went into safe mode of course and removed the driver.. or rather installed 81.98 or whatever

it is. 81.xx version n-vidia driver resulted in SUCCESS and proper 1680x1050 resolution with this EVGA 6200 AGP card

just thought id share my experience if anyone else needs this info in the future!! :yes: