Hiding IP address with XP ??

MadMick

Guest LouCypher

Since you can create raw sockets under XP I'm sure spoofing your IP is possible. Hiding in newsgroups is determined more by how good your server is, what software you use (does it send ALL headers?), and what kind of logs they keep.

G'day LouCypher

Thanx for the reply :D .

Have no idea what sort of logs they keep, using OE6, and as far as I can see it sends all info in the headers.

I'm not wanting to do this to hide as such, more to play a practical joke on a few people :rolleyes: hehe.

Looks like I'll have to RTFM :D:) .

Thanx mate

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LouCypher

net config server /hidden:yes

That doesn't do anything but stop your system from showing up in Network Neighborhood. It doesn't hide your IP address. You can still access the "hidden" server in Explorer w/ the IP address or NetBIOS name. It's also controled by the registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001Serviceslanmanserverparameters]

"Hidden"=dword:00000001

to hide. change to dword:00000000 to unhide.

You can still ping and your IP can still be logged.

Two things that are sort of similar...Lou, you talked about sockets and that reminds me of a fatal error that I keep getting that says "Could not bind socket" Do you have any clue what that would mean.

I don't want to change my IP address but one of my friends did play a practical joke on me one time and he was able to send out, using his email address, an email that had the to: line from my girlfriend's dad at the time (It said blahblah@sceg.com.) He never did tell me how he did it...anyone care to clue me in on this?

Rick

Guest LouCypher

I've gotten th "Could not bind socket" error from firewall products on my compute before. Usually whenever the system was starting up before the firewall had ample opportunity to completely load (this was under XP) and when I once tried to run Sygate and Tiny concurrently (BAD juju, really!)..

If you're getting this message under Windows and it's something like "Could not bind socket to port.." then you probably have a program wanting to open a port already open by another program. Maybe port 80, or multiple ident servers? I'd guess it's a firewall issue. I'm just using Tiny right now with great success.

He probably just used BCC: to send the message to you, and he might have had the dad's password too (to intercept the message).

I know that you are right because I turned off Sygate and everything worked fine. Have you tried switching between two users while Tiny is running? That is where I get the prob. If I let my wife on, she has to turn off Sygate in order to check her email or surf when I have started running it on my side first and vice-versa.

I will call my friend and ask him what he did because I'm pretty sure it wasn't getting a password or anything...not smart enough in this area.

Rick

Guest LouCypher

No problems here w/ switching users under XP while running Tiny. The only time that I have noticed Tiny complaining at all is whenever my computer detects changes in hardware configuration and is doing its driver search thing. Tiny gives an error but keeps working just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Guys

Do I take that as a NO then ? :) , hehe , its been a while since I posted the original post and I have done some reading, but stuffed if I can find anything on hiding/spoofing your IP ??:cry .

Anyway , like I said, no big deal, it was just for a bit of fun :rolleyes:

Guest LouCypher

No, it would be a yes, but I don't know of any tools anyone has made for Windows 2000/XP that does it. I think Steve Gibson's side had an article on this, he's real big into the raw sockets "issues" with XP.

Check out his site: h*tp://www.grc.com

G'day LouCypher

Dude, you look like you could really use a drink :) :spaced , hehe , thanx for the reply, Steve is where i first got the idea, but cant seem to pinpoint the procedure on HOW to do it in amongst his ramblings :rolleyes: .

Will check it out again, and if I work it out will get back to ya :cool: