Adding reg file to Win 8.1

Hi,

I am trying to add a reg file with some tweaks to my unattended installation. I am not sure how to do this, as I have both HKLM and HKCU. I have things such as disabling the first startup animation screen...

So I wonder, would I have to put it under FirstLogonCommand in the oobeSystem pass? Also, I read that I am better with making a batch file, because of UAC or should just pointing straight to the reg file and how?

One last thing, do I need to mount the install.wim to put the reg file or can I simply keep it in the root of my USB drive, as that is what I am using for the installation?

Thanks!

Edited by MasterBash

I'd use setupcomplete.cmd for the HKLM settings, it runs under 'local system' privileges. Put those .reg's in the same folder with the.cmd and they will be copied over to the C: drive during installation.

DVD\Sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd

Regedit /s %~dp0AUTOLOGIN.REG

or

Regedit /s C:\Windows\System32\Setup\Scripts\AUTOLOGIN.REG

The per user stuff cannot be done from SetupComplete.cmd, so run those settings with FirstLogonCommand's.

Edited by MrJinje

Thanks a lot! So easy to do. :)

As for the FirstLogonCommand, if I want to load a file I would have to set the command line to something similar to the above, correct? Regedit /s C:\something

Now, where should the reg file be placed in order to be run from the FirstLogonCommand? Do I need to mount the install.wim and add it somewhere there?

I would actually call a different batch file for the first logon. Then put all your HKCU .reg files in the same location as the new.cmd file you create (same folder as setupcomplete.cmd should suffice).

All these mods can be made from outside the install.wim, using the $OEM$ folders. This avoids having to mount the wim to make small changes.

• 2 weeks later...