Change MS Shell Dlg font SIZE in shell32.dll in Windows 8

jmcc84

Hello. I've tried to do what this guy here said ->

but theres no Dialog folder when i open shell32.dll with reshacker on Win8 Professional x64. Since his post is from 2006 I undestand that he was trying that in WinXP or Vista. Probably M$ changed or hid the dialog folder in some way on Win8.

My question is: Is there a way to do that on Win8? I've opened both shell32.dll from System32 and SysWOW64 folders and both do not have the Dialog folder. Maybe M$ changed it to another dll? Anyone can help me ????

it's on the MUI files inside your locale folder (what is the correct term?) like EN-US for English US, the folder is reside in the same directory where you found the DLL files. You can open the MUI files with resource hacker and see the dialog there..

ok, now i understand what you're saying. In my case it is the PT-BR (brazilian portuguese) folder on system32 and sysWOW64 folders. So I edit Shell32.dll.mui with reshacker , save and it will work? I'll try that and post the result here, thanks.

EDIT: I've changed everything in shell32.dll.mui file for both system32 and sysWOW64, saved and rebooted the system but nothing has changed. What i'm doing wrong now??

• 9 months later...

jmcc,

I'm trying to accomplish the same thing in Windows 7 64-bit. But I'm new to this whole modification thing and I have no idea how to edit the MUI. Is this the same version of the file that you were able to modify? Could you possibly tell me what you did to change the size of the MS Shell Dlg 2 font?

Thanks,
Ellenpost-388180-0-39786600-1392588202_thumb.

I used a program called Resource Hacker, opened shell32dll.mui file with it and edited the values inside the "dialog" folder, first open the dialog folder and then you will see various numbers, each of these numbers correspond to a dialog box of windows, you will see something like : FONT 9, "Segoe UI" . Just edit to a value you want, in this case the number 9 is the font size, and segoe ui is the font face that is currently being used. Change it to whatever you want and click on "compile script". When you finished , save the file and you're done.

Thanks so much for responding. I can't tell you how happy I am to find this information; it's been bothering me forever that those fonts are so small.

OK, I think I know what was wrong but I need to clarify this. First of all, I was looking in Shell 32.dll and then looking under MUI, which gave me that binary file. So now I've found Shell 32.dll.mui in both the System32 and SysWOW64 folders. Do I have to edit both of those or can I edit one and copy it into both folders? Just to remind you in case it matters, that I have Windows 7 not 8.

I have another question: I was hoping to be able to edit to increase the size of the font in the task manager especially, but I see it is not listed among the dialogues in that file. Do you have any idea where it is?

Edited by decibelle