How to Update AHCI drivers

Dogway

I'm a bit lost here, can I just update the AHCI drivers from Device Manager->Update Driver button? Or do I need to do it from BIOS and stuff?

And if so what entries do I need to update this way? I attach a screenshot because I have many ports using AHCI interface, do I need to update manually with each of them?

As for now I only updated using the executable, which also installs the software, monitor, etc and it actually updates the ESB2 AHCI controller inside the IDE ATA/ATAPI section to v.8.9.8, all the rest still uses v.7.3...

AHCI.png

First: the ahci driver will only affect storage device (either ide or mass storage depending on the controller). If you want to update the other device drivers you'll the inf update utility from intel as those device are managed by the motherboard chipset drivers.

Second: if you're already using ahci (check in the bios but it seems it is already the case), you don't need to do anything special when updating the ahci drivers (just launching the install intel matrix storage package like you did is enough).

With the INF update utility you mean the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility"? I used it once but I had issues, it caused some tabs to disappear on the device properties from Device Manager.

Also, apart from storage device, AHCI also supports optical devices as well right? whther it is considered storage... well, actually anything connected through the SATA ports ?