Weird Control Panel error

ppgrainbow

Okay, I'm playing around with Windows 3.1 (or Windows for Workgroups 3.11) under Virtual PC 2004. I have a lot of apps installed under the virtual machine. I start the Control Panel and it has all of the apps listed under the panel, including 16-bit Internet Explorer 5.

However, when I close the Control Panel, this error message shows up:

CONTROL

An error has occurred in your application.
If you choose Ignore, you should save your work in a new file.
If you choose Close, your application will terminate.

Here's the exact screenshot for proof: http://twitpic.com/aydwu7/full

When I click Ignore twice or click on Close, the Control Panel closes by itself. However, when I execute Control Panel, it does not start anymore until I restart Windows. I believe that this problem has to do with the INET16.CPL, a file that is a part of 16-bit Internet Explorer.

This is a weird error that I believe is not easy to fix without having to reinstall Windows 3.1. :(

Should I post the contents of the CONTROL.INI, WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI files to determine what it causing this and how can it get fixed?

I think that I found the problem here.

The 16-bit version of NetShow 2.0 came out sometime in 1997 and upon reboot, it caused errors referring to the INET16.CPL file. The only solution was to uninstall NetShow 2.0 and as a result, the Control Panel closed properly.

I'm in the process of getting rid of 16-bit Netshow 2.0 once and for all. :)