Windows Search Not Finding Results

Ascii2

Computers with and while running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 (all using or almost using same updates) are failing to find an entered Search query the first time the search occurs. When retrying the search without changing the search criteria, the search criteria file(s) is(are) found.

I am thinking that perhaps one or some of the (very) many Windows updates might have defected the search.

What files are responsible or are important for the functioning of Windows Search?

As a side, the only search being used is Windows Search.

Edited by Ascii2

why not use something far more faster and better ?

a portable search, I'd recommend UltraSearch by JAM software, it reads directly from MFT, no indexing no long search...

and its free :P

if you run an old machine, then again, portable, free, from voidtools Everything search(er), tho this one indexes for database, but its indexing is fast

Edited by vinifera

I would upgrade to service pack 3 and see if that cures your problems.
The problem with this potential cure is that the cure might be worse than the disease/problem.

I have tried upgrading to Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 for testing purposes in the past; however, there were new problems with Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 for which there was no or not always a good solution.

For cases (where the amount of RAM plus device memory significantly exceeds 4GB), I am now using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1, due to wanting to use Windows XP, but not wanting to be subject to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3's crippled HAL limitations.