WinPE DNS Record

forsberg94

Hi all,

Having an issue where WinPE hostname is not being resolved properly.

Here is my issue:

Assumptions:

Hostname in Win7 = win7hostname (Private IP: 172.16.50.100)

Hostname in Win PE = winpehostname (Private IP: 172.16.50.100)

Win PE's firewall is taken down using the following command: wpeutil disablefirewall

- When I am in Windows 7, a DNS record is created on the DNS Server. When I look at the DNS Server (Win Server 2008 R2 x64), I see a record in the DNS Manager for win7hostname

I can do ping 172.16.50.100 and receive a response

I can do ping -a 172.16.50.100 and receive a response which resolves the address to win7hostname

I can do ping win7hostname and receive a response (which it resolves to 172.16.50.100)

- When i am in Win PE (firewall down), a DNS record is not being created on the DNS Server.

I can do ping 172.16.50.100 and receive a response

I can do ping -a 172.16.50.100 and receive a response which resolves the address to winpehostname

I cannot do ping winpehostname and receive a response. Fails to resolve to any IP address.

I am confused because I do not see a DNS record when I am in Win PE, but when I try ping -a 172.16.50.100 I see the correct hostname in the command prompt (from the DNS Server).

I cannot, however, resolve that hostname when I attempt to ping it.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You're confusing things: forward dns record (a "A record" stored in the forward dns zone and resolving to a numerical ip) and reverse dns record (a "PTR record" stored in the reverse dns zone and resolving to a "A record") and in your case there might be (or not as you didn't use nslookup) only a PTR record in the reverse dns zone but nothing in the forward dns zone. Also checking dns records should be done with nslookup and not ping.