IIS in Windows Server 2008 R2

dunkindan

I have a hyper V lab set up at my home. I have several servers such as exch, file, adc, etc.. I want to be able to build a web server using Windows Server 2008 R2 and IIS.

My understanding of IIS is not that good and I can't seem to get answers from google. I know that IIS uses applications for displaying web content such as OWA and sharepoint. MY question is how do you make it a web server? I dont understand the hierarchy of the tree. I see that there is hte default web site and you can "add a new site" but how does that work when you have multiple sites on one server? I have opened up the ports on my router for that IP address.

for example - I have a site dunkindan.com. What if I wanted to create links on that page such as services, about , pricing. Does everything go in the inetpub www folder?

Some content requires to create applications, that depends on what you're serving. But you don't have to make it a web server -- it already is. As usual, MS has plenty of free training videos. As for installing and pre-configuring everything you need (including many popular applications), you can use WebPI which is totally awesome. Anything and everything's only a couple clicks away (be it SQL Server Express, PHP, WordPress or whatever) As for multiple sites, you just use different bindings (not that I'm into hosting or anything like that). But sure, you could use the default web site, which indeed is mapped to %SystemDrive%\inetpub\wwwroot