Can't burn dvd's using Media Centre

Recently my 5 year old HP Media Centre computer crashed- fried motherboard.

So I got a new computer build, and on this new computer, they were able to transfer my XP Media centre license. But now I am having problems.

Note: The present system came with SP3 already installed.

At first I couldn't burn a dvd from the recorded tv files. It would burn the files, but not convert them into a dvd. When attempting to burn the files, it would not give me an option to burn a video DVD. It just began to burn straight to the disc after selecting the files. I had Nero installed as a burning software, and I found out that Sonic MyDVD software that came with the HP edition plugs itself into the MC to burn. So I uninstalled Nero and reinstalled an old copy of Sonic(now Roxio) My DVD Premiere 8. Then I found out that HP had a Sonic encoder install - I found that and installed it. Now I could choose which kind of disc to burn. Only now I got an unsupported file type, or the files are not on the PC error instead. So I did some more digging, and found that there was a MCE rollup that could be installed. 2 inf act. So- I downloaded them and went to install the first one. But now- it says I must install a Net framework 1.1 update, in order to install this rollup. Only- if I have SP3...wouldn't I already have the framework update? So after about 5 hours of trying to fix this problem tonight alone...and several previous days of searching..I am asking for anyone who can help me. I remember after a problem a couple of years ago I had all sorts of adventures reinstalling the media centre and updating it. I figure this is more of the same, but I don't want to continue if I am going to screw up the present install, even if it won't let me do the simple thing of burning recorded tv to disc.

Can anyone help?

But now- it says I must install a Net framework 1.1 update, in order to install this rollup. Only- if I have SP3...wouldn't I already have the framework update?

No, .NET stuff has never been part of XP service packs, you need to download then and install them as required. Note too that .NET 2.0 does not supersede .NET 1.1, it is a whole new beastie.

stuck

Okay- I have installed NET 1.1 and the sp1 affiliated with it.

I have installed the roll ups as required.

I started a burn project, and was given the choice of burning a video DVD...the conversion began but extremely slowly. after about 3 hours it seemed hung at 3%. Any suggestions?

ETA:

I've gone back and uninstalled the sonic encoder, uninstalled my Roxio/Sonic MyDVD software, reinstalled the Sonic encoders and attempted to burn again.

ETA:

No change. Now what?

Edited by kimba