Problem with SIM

For some reason I am unable to make SIM generate the catalog. It just fails in the end. This is what it threw at me from its log:

22:25 :

22:25 : Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog. For troubleshooting assistance, see the topic: 'Windows System Image Manager Technical Reference' in the Windows OPK or Windows AIK User's Guide.

22:25 :

22:25 : System.InvalidOperationException: The operation failed to complete. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: String reference not set to an instance of a String.

Parameter name: source

at System.Globalization.CompareInfo.IsPrefix(String source, String prefix, CompareOptions options)

at ?A0xfe36268f.ConvertToNtPath(String path)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.CbsSessionAdaptor..ctor(String bootDrive, String imageWinDir, String servicingPath)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageImpl.InitializePackages()

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageImpl..ctor(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.Cpi.PlatformImplementation.CreateOfflineImageInstance(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)

Server stack trace:

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.Cpi.PlatformImplementation.CreateOfflineImageInstance(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.Cpi.CreateOfflineImageInstance(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageCatalog.Serialize(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageInfo.CreateCatalog()

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.CatalogCreatorImpl.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.ICatalogCreator.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.CatalogGenerator.CreateCat(ProgressDialog pd, Object o)

22:25 : System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: String reference not set to an instance of a String.

at System.Globalization.CompareInfo.IsPrefix(String source, String prefix, CompareOptions options)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.CbsSessionAdaptor..ctor(String bootDrive, String imageWinDir, String servicingPath)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageImpl.InitializePackages()

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageImpl..ctor(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)

22:25 : System.ArgumentNullException: String reference not set to an instance of a String.

Any ideas what's wrong? It does this even when I feed it untouched image.

It can't be because of the language, because 64bit czech image works well with SIM. The one I am attempting to work with is 32bit czech.

Edited by TheWalrus

Try to remove or move any previous catalog files inside your %systemdrive%\DVD\sources and select your image "install.wim" to create a new catalog file!

You need WAIK 3.0 for Windows 7!

Edited by myselfidem

Well, the help says I need to use 32bit version of SIM for 32bit images, which is bullsh....

How am I supposed to install 32bit version when there is no such option in the setup? Furthermore, it won't let me install anything as WAIK is already installed anyway. Does MS really want me to use different machine for this? :-O

Well, the help says I need to use 32bit version of SIM for 32bit images, which is bullsh....

How am I supposed to install 32bit version when there is no such option in the setup? Furthermore, it won't let me install anything as WAIK is already installed anyway. Does MS really want me to use different machine for this? :-O

We can't install 32-bit version of Windows SIM on a computer with OS 64 bit!

http://technet.micro...249(WS.10).aspx

Important

Different binary versions of Windows SIM cannot create catalog files for some Windows images of different architecture types. We recommend using the 32-bit version of Windows SIM to create catalog files because this version can create catalogs for all Windows image architecture types.

The following list describes the Windows SIM architecture types and catalogs that can be created for each Windows image architecture type.

• x86 Image Manager. Can create catalogs for x86, x64, and Itanium-based Windows images.
  • x64 Image Manager.Can create catalogs only for x64 Windows images.
  • Itanium-based Image Manager.Can create catalogs only for Itanium-based Windows images.

Windows System Image Manager

The 32-bit version of Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM) can create and open catalog files (.clg) for Windows images of all architecture types. The 64-bit versions of Windows SIM could create catalog files only for 64-bit Windows images.

For example, the AMD64 version of SIM can create catalogs only of AMD64-based Windows images.

After the catalog file is created, Windows SIM can open catalog files for all Windows image architecture types.

http://technet.micro...500(WS.10).aspx

If we really need to generate a catalog file for Windows 7 images of all architecture types, we will have to do that on a 32bit machine!

Anyway we can install Windows 7 whithout catalog file!

We can also create catalog files for Windows 7 AIO (containing images 32-bit and 64-bit inside one install.wim image) on a 32bit computer!

Image Catalog files created on 32bit computer

Edited by myselfidem