W7 Home Premiun VM has Network issues

bb6934

My host is 64 bit W7 Ultimate on which I have successfully run any number of XP Pro (SP3) VMs, with integration features fully working.

I recently upgraded one of those VMs using the Home Premium Upgrade DVD (now having done it twice to insure that there was no stupid error involved), and in both cases I am not able to either a) establish integration features or B) join the host defined homegroup.

In the latter case (B), upon invoking the JOIN homegroup dialog, it am informed that there exists a homegroup (as expected) but after supplying it with the correct password, I get the error message that "Windows cannot set up a home network on this computer" (note, I was in the JOIN dialog, not set up).

In the former case above (a), I am using the W7 Virtual PC software (but not using XP mode--I prefer some isolation for security purposes). My most recent attempt utilized the newest version of integration features: VPCINTGCOMP14.1.7600.16403. The error (upon boot) is:

"Could not enable integration features

Ensure that the renote access and Group Policy settings in the virtual machine operating system allow

remote connections. Please contact your administrator for more details."

Some integration features do work (USB sharing, audio...).

I do have McAfee installed on the host, but it recognizes an installed homegroup (and thus, I assume, is not interfering). Disabling all features of McAfee does not help.

Any suggestions ?

My host is 64 bit W7 Ultimate on which I have successfully run any number of XP Pro (SP3) VMs, with integration features fully working.

I recently upgraded one of those VMs using the Home Premium Upgrade DVD (now having done it twice to insure that there was no stupid error involved), and in both cases I am not able to either a) establish integration features or B) join the host defined homegroup.

In the latter case (B), upon invoking the JOIN homegroup dialog, it am informed that there exists a homegroup (as expected) but after supplying it with the correct password, I get the error message that "Windows cannot set up a home network on this computer" (note, I was in the JOIN dialog, not set up).

In the former case above (a), I am using the W7 Virtual PC software (but not using XP mode--I prefer some isolation for security purposes). My most recent attempt utilized the newest version of integration features: VPCINTGCOMP14.1.7600.16403. The error (upon boot) is:

Ensure that the renote access and Group Policy settings in the virtual machine operating system allow

I do have McAfee installed on the host, but it recognizes an installed homegroup (and thus, I assume, is not interfering). Disabling all features of McAfee does not help.

Any suggestions ?

If I am correct you cannot use an upgrade disk to install a full install of any flavor of either vista or win7. All either do is switch on features that are already there using the license key. Ill post again when I have more time

Mark Minnich

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

This was a MS upgrade which required an installed XP or vista on disk, and upon finding this prerequisite, doing a full install of W7. In my case (of doing it over XP), it was a 'clean' install of W7.

This was a MS upgrade which required an installed XP or vista on disk, and upon finding this prerequisite, doing a full install of W7. In my case (of doing it over XP), it was a 'clean' install of W7.

Have you tried just wiping out the VM and creating another VM? I think in the case of a VM it is better to do this as you have to do a clean install anyway. Since you want a new machine. .

Mark Minnich

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I haven't tried this because the dvd instructs me that it will not install unless there is an existing copy of XP or Vista on the 'machine'. In any event, it renames the old OS as Windows.old and everything else has been wiped, so it effectively is a clean install. Upon booting the installed machine, it clearly is a W7 machine....with network issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions ?

I have a very similar problem. I'm running under Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and recently set up a VM running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. The installation in the VM is not an upgrade, but is a valid stand-alone license. I've created a Homegroup on the host computer, and have been successful in connecting to it from another laptop computer, also running Win7 Professional 64-bit, on my local network. When I click on "choose Homegoup and sharing options" in the Network and Sharing Center on my VM, it reports that my username has created a homegroup my host computer, and I'm presented with a "Join now" button. I click that, and am taken to a dialog box titled Join a Homegroup, where I choose what sort of files I want to share, and after clicking the Next button, I am instructed to Type the password, which I do. The dialog box is still titled "Join a Homegroup. After a long pause the error message "Windows cannot set up a Homegoup on this computer." appears. It's interesting to me that I was attempting to join the Homegroup, not set one up.

I've researched issues joining homegroups on the Web and have found references to deleting a file named idstore.sst, which I've tried, to no avail. I've checked that the networking setting on my VM is a bridging setup, as required to communicate with other computers on my local network. Nothing appears to work. I'd really like to know whether this inability to join a homegroup from a VM is by design or if it's a bug that might get fixed. If some MS techie who is in-the-know would contribute that information, it would be great, so I could stop wasting time trying to get connected to my homegroup.