Customizing default user profile

Octopuss

I need to customize default user profile on computers running Windows 7. On XP this was easy: I simply logged in with my domain admin account first, configured/installed whatever I needed, put some icons to desktop etc, and then copied my profile over default user folder. This is no longer working under Windows 7, but I kinda need it, because users are often switching at the computers. Can I get a few tips please?

• 1 month later...

Cluberti, could you (or anyone really) give me some more ideas please? I haven't had any time to work on this thing since I asked the question, but I have to come up with a solution soon.

Please note that my knowledge about customizing W7 image is close to zero right now, but I am willing to learn, and plan to dig into this anyway.

Basically the situation is like this:

a domain with few tens of computers, with W7 computers being added lately. Several people are working on each computer, and local profiles are being used. When a user logs onto a computer he doesn't have a profile on yet, I him not to have to configure anything. There should be icons on the desktop, a printer for that location should already be configured, and Internet Explorer shouldn't pop up that annoying configuration wizard. A few things like that.

How do I do that? What are the options? The link you originally posted isn't all that clear to me, or at least doesn't fit in my situation on first read.

I guess I could start learning about customizing installation image, BUT I am not sure that could solve all my problems, because I think I need already installed system as a source. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by TheWalrus

Then your best choice is the netlogon share method of the above KB link - it's easy to set up, it works properly, it's supported by Microsoft, and it's easy to modify in the future if you want to make changes to the profile without having to do anything different.