Integrating updates vs batch install

I am creating a new windows xp disc with integrated updates, and I am thinking the convenience of integrating updates vs batch install after installation.

PROS of integrating

Faster installation than batch

Cons

Slower to create an updated disc

Slower to update the disc

PROS of batch script

Easier to maintain updated (You can create a disc with latest sp3 installed and search for a batch file in a flash drive with the updates, or a network folder with a cron job than downloads new updates and updates automatically add to the script, also the batch file can delete the updates uninstaller with ccleaner)

Alwais updated disc (With network method and the cron job)

Cons

Slower to install

Am i missing some benefit of integrating the updates on the disc?

A few more pros of integration, taken from RyanVM's site:

• Since the files are being directly overwritten on the CD, there is no period of vulnerability between when the files are copied to the hard drive and the hotfixes are run. This guarantees maximum stability and security.
  • Since the updated files are being directly overwritten on the CD, this pack has the minimum possible amount of overhead associated with integrating hotfixes in comparison to other methods - both in space used on the CD and in Windows installation time.
  • Works regardless of whether or not the Windows installation is unattended. And no further action is necessary for Windows to be up to date after Window's installation is complete.

IMO, the time (and logic) is two sides of the same coin when it comes to getting the files, storing them, testing them etc - you need the files regardless, and you'll want to test your new disk.

The maintenance is the issue for me - once you have the files, they are known to work and not break anything, once you integrate your done - 1 image (install disk), updated, tested, ready for prime time. Well, done for the moment... I would suggest getting used to doing both though, there will always be a new file to add at some point, if it's not for XP, it will be for 7, 8 - on and on.

When there truly is no more files to add - integrate for sure :) Did I mention keep backups :wacko: